Dumaguete Info Search

Dead Aussie in Sipalay

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by mokum, May 14, 2018.

1. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    Negros - A 79-year-old Australian was stabbed to death on Saturday in his home, in the Mambaroto district of Sipalay City, Negros Occidental province.
    Sipalay City Police Chief Inspector Nasser Canja says Teunis van Dalen's body had a deep puncture wound in his right breast and had already gone into decay.
    Canja says we are investigating three aspects of the murder, but he can not comment at the moment.
    Van Dalen has lived in Sipalay City for 20 years, says Canja.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Gotta pick those girls a bit more carefully is my bet.

3. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Its all just speculation, so lets speculate.

A 79 year old foreigner, living alone, in an out of the way location, for 20 years. Not likely he had much money or he would have been robbed long ago. That brings up the possibility that someone did not like what he was doing there. So what was he doing all alone out there that may cause someone to break in and stab him? Stabbing is not usually the normal way a filipina kills someone. It is very up close and personal.

At this point we say: R.I.P. and may God have mercy on his soul.

• Like Like x 3
  4. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    NPA

5. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Pretty much what I was thinking. May not be specifically the girl but likely because of the girl he picked.

Further they only care to mention a stab wound on his right breast which was deep. If someone pulls a knife instincts aren't to stay still and let the blade sink in but to move which would have likely made it not sink in so deep and likely the end would have been multiple stab wounds and cuts. It was as well not someone in a furious rage but controlled so unlikely a heat of the moment sort of thing but planned. As other wounds weren't mentioned and not someone in a furious rage it was likely someone he knew. As due to his location and wallet size along with his time there its very unlikely the goal was robbery or money.

In the end it seems likely someone he knew and wasn't expecting it from. It wasn't due to money or robbery and his attitude being there so long likely its not just ruffled feathers along with that doesn't go well with a single deep wound. This leaves me thinking he crossed the wrong person over a female and someone he knew and likely had some sort of trust in. Family member of some female he knew *closely* and crossed her the wrong way with the family.

Of course just speculation and I'm just reading into it because I always loved trying to deduce a good murder mystery, hehe.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dave_Hounddriver

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Well then, we need to ask Sherlock
    Ask Sherlock Holmes | Conan Doyle Info
    Sherlock, Was it "Family member of some female he knew *closely* and crossed her the wrong way with the family"
    (Goes to web site and plugs in the question).
    Sherlock Holmes says:
    I fear not.
    (Goes back to web site and plugs in same question with "male" instead of "female")
    Sherlock Holmes says:
    Yes.

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    The butler did it. :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. Canadianized

Canadianized DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +224 / 27
    The older you get the more you acceptable to being attacked. Same as the more booze you drink the probability will get robbed. This more yet more probable if you live alone. Wearing expensive jewelry and flashing money around a stupid habit some foreigners do. You always have to remember that some Philippinos are desperate! If you live close to poor people away from the city do you snub them as you drive by. Do you ever drop off a bag of rice with them. Stop by and have a tea or drink with them? I have friends who sponsor a few kids to school where he lives. He and his wife buys many books for school lots of kids. This is not the country for foreigners to live as hermits and snub their neighbors. These are mostly poor people here but they are very proud. A simple kind hello goes a long way too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Kind sentiments. But do you think there is any downside to giving rice to a neighbour or a few neighbours - in that those who were NOT given any become resentful?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Dave_Hounddriver

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    A friend who is the only foreigner in the small area he lives in donated 4 sacks of cement to the locals who were doing something for the barangay and ran out of sacks of cement. I was surprised to hear people singing his praises of what a great guy he is due to donating 4 sacks of cement.

• Like Like x 5