Dumaguete Info Search

Deaf and Dumb

Discussion in 'Funny Stuff' started by The Freak, Jul 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Freak

The Freak DI Junior Member Showcase Reviewer

Interviewing freak expats.
    Ratings:
    +28 / 26
    Took the happy missus for a treat yesterday, and after she finished her hot-dog on a stick we ventured into Naturally Negros, to suss it out, and was taken back by the two lovely deaf and dumb people working there.
    They were so full of enthusiasm, and so helpful, and the missus much to my surprise really hit it off with them, and appeared to understand their sign language, so after we bought what we wanted and waved them goodbye we left promising to tell the love of my life`s friends all about them. ( My friends you can count 0n two fingers, so not worthwhile haha )
    On the way back to our humble little shack I happened to mention to the missus that she seemed to be able to communicate with the deaf and dumb couple that served us, and she replied that she has had lots of practice living with me.
    After thirty minutes or so of silence it got the better of me, and I just had to ask her "how?"
    You may well ask she said, and then went on to explain..... Freak how many times have you turned a deaf ear on me when I have spoken to you, and how many times do you not answer me when I have spoken to you? Well, she said, I have had lots of practice communicating with a deaf and dumb person in our own house, and the only thing that is different between you and those lovely two people is that you are a "freaking pain in the arse" and they were quite pleasant.
    So dont take my word for it folks, go to to Naturally Negros yourselves and buy up big from two bubbly people, you will enjoy the experience, and leave in a happy mood.
    Must sign off now and have a SM then take a snooze, until my dinner is ready.... such a hard life.
    Cheers.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Doug Clutton

Doug Clutton DI Junior Member Showcase Reviewer

Doctor of Audiology
    Manga, Mayabon, Zamboanguita, Negros Oriental
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Thanks for visiting our store - funny story .... makes us think, eh? (yup I'm Canadian)

Pattema and Fredirick are a wonderful enthusiastic couple who are doing very well managing the store. Honest and hard working - excellent "front liner" sales staff.

Just a cultural note - the Deaf prefer that we use the term "Deaf" not "deaf and dumb". It's kinda a political correctness issue or cultural sensitivity. The word "mute" or "dumb" has some negative connotations to the Deaf. They are unable to speak simply because they are unable to hear. So they (not I) prefer to be known simply as "Deaf" - the big "D" meaning they are culturally Deaf, ie use a visual mode of communication. Small "d" deaf refers to those of us "hearing" folks who have lost our hearing later in childhood or adulthood, but still use an oral/aural mode of communication. No need for anyone to apologize, just wanting to encourage a clearer understanding of Deaf culture and communication.

OK, ok ... enough rambling ... I actually meant this to be a quick reply :-) THANKS to everyone for supporting Deaf Filipinos. We feel blessed by your support and understanding.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Where abouts is your store? Reason I'm asking is that my wife's nephew is (Deaf) and is only 10 years old. He lives on Bohol but comes over with his Nanay to visit.

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.