Dumaguete Info Search

Pets & Animals Dealing with Neighbors Abusing a Dog

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Rye83, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    About 2-3 weeks ago the neighbors got a puppy. They have tied it to a tree (that is right next to a wall/window of the house I rent) on a leash shorter than the length of the dog....it can hardly move. This dog is absolutely miserable and is barking/howling/crying all day long (luckily it sleeps at night). I feel bad for this dog more than I am annoyed by it. I thought it was being physically beaten at first from the noises it was making but I peaked over the wall and I see it is just wanting attention from someone (it is looking straight at the neighbors house waiting for someone to come out/pay attention to it. When it saw me looking over the window at it it shut up immediately and started wagging its tail).

I'm not really sure what to do about this. I don't know the neighbors and have never spoken to them or even seen them. I would like to politely ask if they could do something about it but I don't know what to suggest (I can't be honest and tell them they are monsters for leashing the dog up with a 2ft rope). I think my best bet might be to see if I can get the landlord to go talk to them first. She's a much nicer human being than I am and probably knows how to talk to them/deal with them better than I do. Not sure what would be the next step if that failed though.

It's a cute and friendly pup and I wouldn't mind taking it off their hands for 1k pesos but what if they just went out and found another one and did the exact same thing.....or perhaps start thinking I will give them money to stop doing stuff that annoys me or I think is wrong. I certainly don't want to start some type of conflict with the neighbors by taking it too far and then be forced to move out if it started to get out of hand or they started being pricks just in spite of me.

Are there any animal shelters/control in Valencia that I could anonymously contact and have them come out and check the dog? Again, I'm more concerned for the dog than I am about the noises it makes throughout the day. They have a completely walled off and gated property and the dog could easily be allowed to roam the yard without worrying about it running away.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Best Answer:
    Post #6 by DaveD, Jan 19, 2016 (2 points)
  3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    I think that would be the best thing First:thumbsup:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Is it possible they are raising it to eat and they do not want it to exercise and toughen the meat? I realize it is unlikely as it is so common to see dogs tied on a short leash here but it is also possible. I do not see any enforcement of cruelty to dogs laws here. Have you seen any enforcement of such? For me I would let it go as that is just part of living in the Philippines. Every time I see a dog tied like that or stuck in a small cage I think of the dogs I have seen in the back province areas who are being held down while a sharp stick is rammed down their throat, which is being cut to drain the blood while they are still kicking, so that the dog can be cooked. This is a cruel country. It is what it is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    There is a reason why I am willing to pay 5 times what a local is willing to pay for rent (because I want a nice quiet place and also want to separate myself from the local culture while I'm at home). I would explore more extreme "options" before I just accepted it and moved on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Annoyance problem solved.....kinda. I went to look over the wall again and saw they had a teenage son home alone studying. A smile and a little flirting from my gf and he was more than happy to move the dog to the other side of their property. :wink: At least now I don't have to crank up the TV to drown out the dogs suffering cries I suppose. :unsure: Crappy cultural flaw but I don't think anything I could do to help the dog would be beneficial to my safety/sanity. Maybe their other neighbors (locals) on the other side of their property can make some "suggestions" after they have listened to the dog cry for a few weeks.....much better for two local neighbors to battle something like that out.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Best Answer
    Deleted my comment of asking you to have your SO to try to resolve it, but I hadn't read the whole thread to see that is what happened. I then tried to delete my comments, but it wont completely let me do that either it seems. My bad, delete if you wish.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  8. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Best answer. Yep. I mentioned this thread to my SO and she said "tell him you're gonna get used to it. this is Philippines."

9. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    LOL yes, that's life here. Either accept it as is or leave. I guess I accepted it as I'm going on 20 years here... Beats the heck out of being in the states right now and for the foreseeable future IMPO!

• Like Like x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I've lived in the same house in Valencia for 4 years, same property for 5 and I have never had any real problems with the local neighbors (this one turned out to not be much of a problem at all as they moved the dog without any fuss). I have 3 local neighbors on the other side of the walls and other than this dog issue I have not had any problem with them at all. Leaving the property all the local neighbors on the private road know me by name (even though I've never said anything more than "hello" to any of them), are extremely friendly and always wave when I drive by.

Foreigner neighbors on the other hand.....some of them have been a real headache! I moved to the house in the back of the property not only because it was a larger house (and the same price as the apartments) but mainly because the foreigners in the 4 connected apartments were always doing something to cause trouble with me, being loud and obnoxious or constantly knocking on my door to borrow money.

I understand that many people have had some bad luck with local (and foreign) neighbors but I don't think it is as common as made out. I think most people, both Filipino and foreigners, much prefer to get along with their neighbors and don't want to be a burden to anyone. There are always exceptions though....regardless of nationality/race. I really shouldn't have been so negative in the first couple posts. The neighbors were friendly and moved the dog immediately and without question. (And I think they would have been if it would have been me asking instead of my gf as well.) I should have given them the benefit of the doubt. (Even if I don't agree with how the dog is/was being treated.) I had no reason to think that they wouldn't have since they had no history in the last 4 years of being pesky/annoying neighbors.

Note about my current foreign neighbors: I only know one of the foreigners living here these days, a forum member, and he certainly has never caused me any problems. I'm not saying there are still annoying tenants here....I'm far enough away, and don't go down that way, I don't really don't hear anything going on down there and since everyone stays out of my business I stay out of theirs.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1