Dumaguete Info Search

Death Machines on Wheels

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Rye83, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    NYC.jpg

Sound and look familiar? Note that it took decades before US cities were able to successfully deal with these new transportation contraptions.

Fun fact: Calling someone a "jay" in the early 1900's would be like calling someone a hick, redneck or country bumpkin today. So calling someone a "jaywalker" would have been incredibly insulting to city folk. Also, playgrounds were invented because children were getting ran over in the city streets so frequently...because that is where they had always played before...and these cars, that in the 1920s were the cause of 2/3rd of all deaths in NYC, were not enough for hard-headed parents to warn their kids to stay out of the streets. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 6
  2. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    So you are saying Dumaguete is like NYC in the 1920's and in another 80 years it will look like New York does today. :smuggrin:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Not just Dumaguete, the streets of almost any urbanized area in the Philippines looks like that. I'm not sure 80-90 years will be enough time for the Philippines. There are some, let's call it, "cultural hurdles" the Philippines has that the US did not really face 80 years ago....or ever. However, the US had some pretty backasswards/f*cked up thinking and ideas during that time and people were reluctant to change (that part is pretty much true for people anywhere in the world).

Also, 2017 - 1920 = 97 years :wink:

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    I just took a nice round number like 2000 since my math isn't that good, figured NY has changed much in the 21st century and spit out a number. I admit I don't know much about NY so feel free to enlighten me on how it's changed from 2000 to 2017. Actually, I was just kidding around as I don't expect the population of Dumaguete to be 8,550,405.
    NYC Population Facts
    As always, thanks for keeping me inline. :wink:

5. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Well I know the sky-line has certainly changed since then.

• Like Like x 1