Dumaguete Info Search

Definitions: Social Distance; Quarantine; Isolation

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Edward K, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +996 / 82
    From a C/Net posting: (this article also has more "...prepare and stock up..." tips. Posting this because I wasn't really sure and to me, it's not that intuitive. When I read all the crap, I want to know what they are saying. I think the PH DOH uses these..

<<Social distancing: Social distancing is used to limit close interactions among people. You can see this happening as conferences are canceled, gatherings are limited, and schools shut down. Individuals may also choose to distance themselves by avoiding public transportation or choosing to work remotely. Other social distancing practices include avoiding handshakes and remaining more than three feet from other people.
    • Quarantine: To be quarantined (or self-quarantined) is when a person who is WELL -- not sick or exhibiting symptoms -- separates themselves or drastically restricts their movement. It's used when a person has come in contact (or is suspected to have done so) with an infected person and needs to monitor their symptoms. Quarantine is also used with individuals who are at high risk of contracting COVID-19 and need to limit their exposure to potentially ill people.
    • Isolation: Isolation is used when a person that's ILL or displaying presumptive coronavirus SYMPTOMS is separated from those who are healthy to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. In some cases, people might be isolated in a hospital, while those with manageable symptoms are isolated at home.

• Like Like x 1