Dumaguete Info Search

DEPED - Face to face classes

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by barryrio, Jun 8, 2020.

1. barryrio

barryrio DI Member

Ratings:
    +328 / 26
    Just seen on news that DEPED has announced no face to face schooling until a vaccine is available. Be interesting to see what comes of this. Order came from the President.

2. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Im sure you will be an excellent teacher mate. You couldnt do any worse than thay do lol.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I have a problem with this one because.... A. It will be a while before we know we have a good vaccine ...... B. What happens if the Philippines accepts, in a hurry, a sub standard vaccine and puts the kids back in school ......... and C. How long are they prepared to keeps the kids out of school? They are all bad scenarios but that last one is a terrible prospect for the future of the Philippines.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    CNN Philippines had the DEPED lead saying there will be a blended education system as opposed to face to face. I didn’t hear a firm solution, probably work in progress.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. PatO

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Kumon offers daily worksheets in math and reading. 1800p grades 6 and under, 1950p grades 7 and above. Pick up and turn in two weeks worksheets.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Just come up on my Screen Education Face to Face.jpg

7. NowandThen

NowandThen DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +353 / 87
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    The Philippines ranks last in PISA (Programme for International Student Assessment) among 79 countries in reading comprehension, and also ends up in the low 70s in mathematics and science. This was already bad news when these results were published. So if the schools remain closed or half open for some more months, the future for the Philippines will look very bleak.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  8. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    I tried teaching a Filipino relative age 15 some simple science - started with taking an ice cube and heating it to liquid and then steam. Made the point very strongly that the freezing point (zero Celsius) and boiling point (100 Celsius) are important facts to know (the student should have known that from age 11 or less). I repeated that (basic) fact many times.

The student did an exam (which immediately before I repeated the importance of knowing those two temperatures) and I asked if that question had arisen (it did) and what answer was given ... the answer given was +1 and -1. That student is now studying STEM.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    barryrio

barryrio DI Member

Ratings:
    +328 / 26
    I agree wholeheartedly.

• Like Like x 1
  10. PatO

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    My wife is putting on two hour school classes for my boy and his 9 first cousins, ages 4 to 14. Reminds me of the old days with one small school house and one teacher for all the grades. Her second day doing it, kids enjoying it.

• Like Like x 4