Dumaguete Info Search

Differences between cities here.

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by ronv8917, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronv8917

ronv8917 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    This is a continuation of the conversation between JP and I but I think others here will want to jump in as well
    I didn't want to detract from the welcome thread of ilovecdo.
    And, I'm reasonably sure that some feathers may be ruffled along this road.
    But I really did do my homework before I came here and even never having been there I really didn't want to live in a place filled with foreigners and/or western ways. I wanted to blend in and become one of the locals as much as my pointy nose and white skin will allow.
    I have said this here before, but it's worth saying again. I didn't come here to change the Philippines. I came here for the Philippines to change me.
    The town (barrio) that I live in is about 5000 people and I am, at this moment, the only foreigner here.
    Again, as I've said before, they have stopped calling me "the foreigner" and started calling me "Ron" and that is a big deal to me.
    Please don't take this wrong, but I have had my fill of western mentality and I enjoy the customs, traditions and superstitions here with only a few minor exceptions.
    Because CDO is not an area for a lot of foreigners and/or a tourist destination, the foreigners here seem very friendly, mostly I think, because we don't see each other, or other foreigners daily.
    I have absolutely nothing against foreigners, but I had in my mind the lifestyle that I wanted and this is it.
    I deal with the trials and tribulations if and when they happen and accept what I do have and don't miss (almost) what I don't have.
    To me, this is what my retirement is supposed to be.
    I live in what my former friends would call a "back-woods" area and really enjoy it. We don't buy barbeque, we kill the pig and butcher it ourselves and cook it over a wood fire outside (fiesta this weekend here).
    So with all due respect to all of my friends in Dumaguete. I love CDO (big city) and Aplaya (my city).
    I really think that this is why the foreigners here are more friendly than what JP described in Dumeguete. We really are on the same page here.

2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Now you are talking my life!

Well Ron, Sounds like we most definitely have the same idea of retirement. I still have 2 years to go to full retirement but I am planning a wind down programme as of this Year. Like you, we as a family enjoy the real Filipino life, I only mix with a few foreigners, as you can judge we have a few that just are not worth the trouble it takes to arouse their interest in anything other than Girls, Booze and telling others how to run there life. Azon and I with our Daughter live a rural life within the City. We are 4 Houses of family on about 8.000 sq mtr Lot. 16 adults and 6 school age children and 5 pre-school. 6 Dogs, 9 Pigs, 10 Turkeys, Countless chickens, 6 Fighting Cocks (and a partridge in the pear tree:D) So Ron as you can see, we are quite self sufficient and as you do, Butcher our own livestock for food. We love it and will miss this life when we do eventually move out when I fully retire in 2013.:( I will always try and live the life that pleases me and of course, should I need that little bit of western company, I have all my DI friends to call on and share a cold SMB with. Shame that we are worlds apart in PI terms but hey, you never know, maybe a short Holiday in CDO will be called for and we can get a beer and a Smoke one day!

Tomorrow is our wedding Anniversary, We are looking forward to a Family party and a lot of cold SMB's. I am sure I don't need to tell any of the members here what fun it can be to Share in the family Food Parties that our hosts love so much. Lechon already chosen. Open Roasting starts at 7.30am Take care, be Lucky and have a great weekend.
    In fact, all of you, please have a good Weekend.:wink:

Jack P. :smile:

3. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Most of what was just said I totally agree with but...(Love pork but killing a pig makes me squeamish) look forward to more views. As for me I couldn't imagine ever leaving the Philippines. I'm very lucky with a wonderful wife and 2 kids that amaze me every day.

Happy anniversary Jack and Azon, may you enjoy many more happy years with your family.

Ron

4. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    I think most of us would be vegetarian's if it came to killing our own meat.
    I'll let the wife do it :D

Yes, wishing you both a Happy Anniversary Jack and Azon all the best JB

5. OP
    OP
    ronv8917

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    And a very special wish to JP and Azon from Ron and Rudy Mae.

6. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Happy Saturday!

:DHey guys good Morning, Thank you both for the Greetings, my Wonderful Lady is out in the abattoir area now with her bro/bro-in-law doing her bit so John I follow you here,

Ron, I will never get to do the job, like you too squeamish, our hosts seem to be OK with it so "Carry on Cooking"

Thank you both for adding to Ron8917 and my chat about life here, the more the merrier, maybe we can educate a few more in to settling into a good life and enjoy what is on offer. (What was it that Barry McGuire sang about)

"The western world, It is a fading" (Eve of Destruction) Here,as I am sure a lot will agree, I feel a whole lot safer.:wink::smile:

Jack P.:wink:

7. Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Muchas Gracias!

:smile::smile::smile: Thank You Ron, Please tell Mae that the trip to CDO may be closer than I thought, we can get a beer and a smoke, The girls can shop till they drop.:rolleyes:

Jack P.:wink:

8. OP
    OP
    ronv8917

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I really think it all boils down to "western values" as opposed to "island values" for me.
    Things are not taken for granted here as in the US, by both children and adults.
    Almost 2 years ago, before I came here, it was a few days before Mae's 23 birthday. I casually asked her if she was going to have a party. She got a real blank stare on her face and said "party?, no we don't have birthday parties becuase they cost to much". I then asked her when was the last party she had and she said "never". Here was a lady 23 years old and had never had a birthday party.
    I sent her 5,000 pesos for her party and a new dress and what I got in return was many pictures, all with big smiles, and great memories.
    I think it is a difference in values of the locals here.
    Western ways?....... Not too sure they stand up, value-wise.
    A friend sent me a speech that Bill Gates gave on 10 rules of life for young people. I'll try to copy/paste it on a new thread here. It is very good.
    To me it is blending western ways of a few things like a microwave and iPhones into the small town of Aplaya, without disrupting anything.

9. Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    In a nut shell!

:wink:Ron, nail on the head, in a nut shell, say it with any cliche and you have got the balance just about right. May you have many more years to enjoy that balance.:smile::smile::smile:
    I know that JB, Expatron and a whole host of others would say the same.:wink:

Jack P.:smile:

10. OP
    OP
    ronv8917

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    And the family joke is about my morning coffee. The first day, Mae said she would get me my coffee. After a few minutes I walked into the kitchen and she was lighting wood under a pot of water. I asked her what she was doing. She said she was heating water for my coffee. What?????? That day we went out and bought a microwave. Some western values DO work here for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.