Dumaguete Info Search

Do we stay or do we go?

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by firefly, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    It has been mentioned a few times on this forum that a large number of foreigners who came to the Philippines as permanent, are leaving the country again after a few years.
    Why are we leaving? Do we want to know, or do we prefer to put our head in the sand like an ostrich?
    Why do we stay?
    One big reason is certainly the climate.
    Another reason is that life is cheaper here than in many parts of the western world.
    If you have the money, you can built or buy a house that you only can dream of in your own country.
    You can have your own domestic helper while you can’t afford this in your own country.
    The language speaks certainly in favour of the Philippines compared to some neighbouring country’s.
    Transportation is cheap.
    Ones we take the step, it is difficult to step back.
    Why do we go?
    Financial and relation problems are certainly most common reasons to leave.
    Even if life is cheaper here than in so many other country’s, most people underestimate the cost of living or over estimate their own capability’s.
    Relation wise, couples are separating all over the world why this country should be different, but while friends and family in our own country are mostly on a same level as we are, the situation in another country is quite different.
    The “collect and go” mentality of Philippino’s is for many foreigners at least disturbing and becomes more and more annoying the longer we stay.
    Living a simple life is perhaps the best way to live here. Ones you need any office or official you are encountered with red tape and corruption.
    Laws are interpreted by those who have (a little) power and are permanently invented by those who have a little more power.
    So reasons enough to leave this country

I’m sure there are many more reasons to stay or to leave, just a thought.

2. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Being out from underneath Big Brother and intrusive government is one of the big reasons I'm here.
    Also, the USA is an empire in decline, IMO the Philippines offers a better life and more opportunities for my kids and grandkids.

3. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Firefly, I enjoyed reading your points, I think you are right. Btw, what is the filipino "collect and go" meaning, first time I came across that. Thanks

4. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    I can answer you that with some example in everyday life:

The girlfriend of a mate of mine told him when dinner came to the table (family style):

"don't be selfish, ME FIRST"

each celebration here ends when the food is gone and nothing to collect anymore. There is nothing like socializing and sit together to talk for a few hours.

FF, one thing I totally disagree is the english. It is rather annoying to listen to people here trying to put random words in a line and let it to us to find out the meaning. That might be fine for most tourists when they need directions, but communication here can be pretty tiring if one needs anything more than that.

5. flobenz

flobenz DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    i think that happens because here, u are somewhat obliged to invite people even if they are not that close to u or even if u don't like them. so it's understandable if they leave early, coz they probably have nothing in common with the host. lol.

i feel this obligation hovering over my head every time i am going to have a party, so as much as possible, i try to just not care and just invite my closest friends. that way, i know everyone stays even after eating :D

6. OP
    OP
    firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    "collect and go" goes further than that...much further.
    For instance
    - when they ask for "a loan"
    - utang na loob
    - 4 months Christmas a year
    - police control along the road
    - Customs,immigration etc.

7. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    so you mean if I invite 3 people for a pizza (6 slices) and:
    the first takes 3 slices,
    the second 2,
    the last 1
    nothing for me,
    while the first takes 1.5 slices home .....they are just aware that I am not getting too fat (which is too late anyway ... :( ) and not "collect and go"

I am not joking, that really happened...

8. SurfinUSA

SurfinUSA DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Many foreigners leave around the time their kids are starting school to get a better education for them.

It's not cheaper in PI. Gas costs more, electricity costs more, land often costs more. Are one story homes made out of hollow block, with no basement, and usually on a lot not much bigger than the house really cheaper than in the US?

9. echir

echir DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I have some comments regarding this statement. People still do power play...And many believe that control is indeed better than consensus. Well it seems, but history and a study on human nature reveals that humans by nature do not function best by control, or remote control.

Look at historical figures such as Nebuchadnezzar, the former President Marcos, some dictators in Eastern Europe, etc. And the controlling communist regime in Russia has fallen, and look at China now? Has it continued with its dictatorial regime. Even Singapore has relaxed its authoritarian tendencies.

So political regimes found out that control and dictatorial powers are not the way to go because it is against human nature. Somebody who thinks that control, or the control freaks, is still the best thing is thinking 100 years behind. In this world you have to learn to live respecting each fellow human being, and that no matter how rich or how powerful you are you will learn that the law is not anymore in the palm of your hands.

HE WHO THINKS HE IS LIKE A GOD WILL END UP LIKE A DOG...

10. flobenz

flobenz DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    they must be really hungry people! :eek: give them more food rhoody! :D

hehehe but u r right. u give some filipinos ur hand, they eat ur entire arm. so i guess u have to be more careful with who u socialize with rhoody :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.