Dumaguete Info Search

Question Do you know this guy?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by ex231, Apr 12, 2015.

1. ex231

ex231 DI Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 28
    Do you know a foreigner that drives a car like this? It is basically a beige color but I am not positive on the make. It's hard to get all the details when your primary objective is just to keep someone that's coming at you in your lane from killing you and your wife.
    Sunday about 2:30pm a couple of kilometers on the hwy north of Gerry's new place. I'd love to meet this guy and chat with him.

landcruiser.jpg

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Doesn't look familiar.

3. OP
    OP
    ex231

ex231 DI Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 28
    Thanks for letting the thread live.
    We were on my scooter headed north. He was southbound. It was close .. Damned close.

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Honestly, I don't think anyone would volunteer a name on the public forum even if they knew the guy. The best you can probably hope for is a PM with information. I've had so many close calls that if I were to confront them all I'm sure I would have been in prison by now....or possibly dead. I will flip the bird to ahole drivers and have a few choice words as they drive by (I used to punch the mirrors off of cars who would get really close when passing without consideration for my lane but I stopped when I damaged a $600 watch and d*mn near broke my wrist....it was quite satisfying to hear those break-away mirrors completely break away though).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    ex231

ex231 DI Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 28
    A PM would work.
    We probably had a combined closure rate of about 85mph so punching his mirror as he went by would have probably turned out badly for me. Was too scared to take one hand off the handle bars to flip the bird. It was a religious experience.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Kojak

Kojak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 2
    While understand your anger.....I think you are wasting your time..... even if you caught up with him you would not accomplish anything...he does not care what you think and probably blames you for being on HIS road... I see these things everyday and just shake my head..... one day they will cripple or kill someone..... and even then he will probably blame the victim
    I once wrote that you honk your horn anytime you see something STUPID about to happen....that is why horns are honking all the time....
    DEFENSE....DEFENSE.....DEFENSE

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Oz-Roger

Oz-Roger DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Retired
    Ratings:
    +465 / 137
    There are a number of foreigners that fit that description, but driving different cars, maybe it is the same guy who has a fleet.............lol......:biggrin:......I find there are foreigners here who are as bad and sometimes worse than the Filipinos...........and that is a fact.......:cool:.......I just bite my tongue, and move forward and forget the jerks........no sense in doing anything else..........my suggestion is to drive expecting everyone to do the wrong thing, and that way you will not be disappointed here...........:smile:

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. Andrew

Andrew DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +151 / 57
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Driving to/from anywhere here is an experience. Three lanes out of two, head-on near misses almost a daily occurrence for me. It's terrifying, especially when I travel with my family/baby boy. I hate it. On the motorbike it's even worse. Ceres Busses have virtually run me off the road. City of gentle people? Not when they get behind the wheel! I thought Thailand was bad, but .PH is far worse. Thus far I have found Negros one of the worst - probably due to the high speeds out of town.

Still, I met my Barangy Captain yesterday and he assures me that traffic calming in Amlan is número uno on his list. Hopefully if more Barangy's feel the same way there may be some improvement longer term. OK I know drivers 'attitudes' need to dramatically change too. The tragic loss of life is devastating whether at fault or not. I am very concerned with the poor road safety here and wonder how the hell I will be able to sleep at night when my son grows up. Nightmare!

• Like Like x 1
  9. johncarson

johncarson DI Member Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +252 / 19
    That kind of driving is never excusable, but I find it even less so when it’s a foreigner at the wheel. We should know better. Some foreigners unfortunately tend to leave behind whatever common sense they might have had in their home country.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Andrew

Andrew DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +151 / 57
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I concur and indeed; as with everything in life; education is paramount. Yes, we should lead by example. It is hard however, to remain placid & neutral when a bus/truck/SUV is heading straight for you without a care in the world for your life!

Without speed cameras, speed bumps and heavy fines/driving bans - would drivers from developed nations be as compliant as they are? NO! Effective punishment is a main deterrent. Same goes for noisy motorbikes, vehicles that belch out fumes, no working lights, no helmets and the crazy 'fashion' for removing the side mirrors from bikes so drivers have no rear vision. There are no excuses, it's simply idiotic, irresponsible and shows a complete lack of care - from owners/drivers AND local government [inexcuseable].

• Agree Agree x 2