Dumaguete Info Search

Food & Grocery Do you think an online grocery shop will be viable in Negros Island?

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by aldinlapinig, Sep 30, 2016.

?

Would you prefer to buy groceries online and have it delivered on a pre-arranged time slots?

Poll closed Oct 6, 2016.
  1. Yes

28.6%
  2. No

35.7%
  3. Maybe

35.7%
  1. aldinlapinig

aldinlapinig DI Junior Member

Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +50 / 4
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Hello Guys,

My name is AL, a small business owner based in Sibulan. I own a small sari-sari store located in Estanzia South Subdivision in Maslog. The name of the store is Buy Supplies and has been operating for 1 year already. I'm planning to bring most of our grocery products online? What do you think of an online grocery shop with delivery service in Sibulan and Dumaguete City initially? Here's a sneak peek of the online store I created, and will be launching on October 8, 2016.
    Buy Supplies

• Like Like x 1
  2. Best Answer:
    Post #3 by Dave & Imp, Oct 1, 2016 (4 points)
    Alternative Answers:
  3. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I think that is a decent idea. There are quite a few elderly folks that would appreciate that plus working couples that just don't have time.

Best of luck!

Shawn

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Best Answer
    Best of luck to you on your venture, there are many questions and few answers until you try the market place and see the interest. The overall idea is good. The little details will make the different in success or failure. How well can you define your market? (Meaning how well you know the people you intend to sell to. ) What is their food budgets, what type of products do they buy, how much does delivery mean to them? ). Taking orders online already defines your customer base, because only those with online ability will buy from you. Can you get the unique things that people make want and come back to you for , or it is just water, gas, and rice (I saw you promo.") Can you run an program on your buyers to determine what they buy, and how often they buy it so you know can notify them. (there may be stock programs available for tracking customers.) Can you ovoid the "out of stock" reply, as I think that will kill your program. My friend who live in Thailand uses Tesco, but they are from Australia and have a history of buying using your purchase and delivery methods. How many others will do this? . Generally I would say the Filipinos are more cost conscious versus convenience than the international crowd, but I am surprised on this concept daily. Take it slow, and grow over time. Expand as you can.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    I like the idea. I think it may be more hassle but you might be able to expand your customer base by accepting text orders.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Great suggestion, as everyone texts here, no expensive computer needed. That would expand your potential base of customers greatly. Simple and effective. It would cause slower growth due to the fact they may not know what you offer, but it is a good concept. You could run it parallel to the online system and see which benefits you the best. keep what works, delete the systems that do not work for your store.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    aldinlapinig

Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +50 / 4
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Thank you for your input, Robert...I have taken a look into that already since we're actually doing that for our customers in the subdivision. :smile: That'd really be more convenient for everybody. Not everyone is adept with the web, but most people knows how to text or call. :smile:

8. OP
    OP
    aldinlapinig

Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +50 / 4
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Thank you Dave for the very detailed input. I'm taking notes of your feedback. Great stuff. Take care. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    aldinlapinig

Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +50 / 4
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Thank you, Shawn. Yes. The intention really is for the people who doesn't have time or not capable enough to shop. We've been delivering purified drinking water for more than 5 years and have really seen the delivery market in the locality. :smile: Take care.

10. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    consider adding a local courier/package pick up and delivery service to your agenda.

good luck with it all...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. julie

julie DI New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Blood Type:
    A+

Convenience. For someone who is busy making a living an online grocery store is a very good idea, apart from saving time and avoiding crowds. It's so much easier to sit at home and wait your orders delivered at front of your doorstep after a long tiring day of working.

• Agree Agree x 1