Dumaguete Info Search

Doberman Dalmatian Cross

Discussion in 'Hobbies and special interests' started by ShawnM, Mar 6, 2015.

1. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    As I seem to have the only Dalmatian in town, folks seem to really be excited when we take him out. He is a pretty mild mannered guy (unless around a female in heat). Owner's of a female Doberman asked the wife about letting our guy breed with their dog.

Obviously he has hit some local dogs so he would be more than happy for the encounter. I tried to search about a cross of these two breeds to gain some insight on temperament and such without much luck. Has anyone come across one, granted I doubt their dog is a pure breed.

I won't agree to it until I have met their dog and know their intentions for the pups. I know the personalities and temperaments of my dogs so I had no problem when the wife wanted to cross our Belgian and Dalmatian.

I have no experience with Dobermans, but they are good looking dogs. The body and coat of a Doberman and Dalmatian are similar, the face and coloration being the main difference. I need to talk to them to see what they are looking for, but if my pups are any indication a coupling between my Dalmatian and their Doberman will probably come out similar to my pups as being all black...never can tell though.

I want to keep my Belgian clear of male dogs when she is in heat, but the Dalmatian will do his thing if he gets out and smells a dog in heat. Local dogs you will rarely hear about but a planned coupling with another big breed should be thought out a bit as the pups will most likely be sold or given to family/friends.

This post ended up being longer than it should have been so I go back to my main question if anyone has experience with a cross or Doberman and advice if I should let it happen.

Shawn

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    There is a guy in Valencia that has/had some Dalmatians. I don't think they have any papers for them though. I had a pup from a litter of theirs but it had to be put down about 6 months later because of constant sickness, skin disease and then was on a losing end of a fight.

3. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    That really sucks and feel your loss; our Dalmatian can be hard headed at times but is a good dog and in great health; we both check him daily but he can be ornery about his paws and ears.

Shawn

4. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090
    Google and you should find one video on such acroos (I did not post the link as he swears alot in it) They dog came out with doberman colors and a head shaped like a Dalmation. The dog will certainly be mistook as a Doberman as the the genes are dominate. The dog seems very excitable and has white paws with a hint of dark spots. Hope this helps!

5. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I've found some pics and vids on the cross but nothing about the temperament of the pups from the mix. Our Dalmatian is pretty well behaved, still pretty high energy and playful with the pups. I'll get around to meeting their Doberman in the next day or so and we'll see if I think it will be a good idea...I may be interested in one of the pups (don't tell Cherry).

Shawn

• Like Like x 1