Dumaguete Info Search

Does Dumaguete have any nursing homes?

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Maximus, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Maximus

Maximus DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I figured most Filipino families would rather take care of their elderly themselves, but there would be a time that someone would need it as an alternative from the greedy relatives who prey on the elderly pensioner, pretending to be some caring saint but deep inside they are just waiting for that check to come and spend it for their own personal extravagance.

Nursing homes are also called "Home for the Aged" in the Philippines.

2. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    There might be some nursinghomes in the Philippines,bust most likely not in Dumaguete.
    This is certainly something "from the west"
    Most elderly will be taken care off by relatives, sometimes they wil hire a maid for the job and sometimes the rich people will hire a nurse and/or a person to keep them compagnie.

3. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    You are correct about Nursing Homes being more of a 'do-it-yourself' kinda thing here. With that in mind, I have already begun preparations for my 'Golden Years' by recruiting some well-qualified nurse-maids: ;-)

Roll your wheelchair over for a visit!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    I'm ready for your nursing home NOW where do I sign up?

5. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    I will put you on the waiting list, Jim. ;-)

But seriously, Medicare needs to allow overseas medical and residential care facilities!

6. Arie

Arie DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    100% agree with that, we are stuck with a huge surplus of elders soon who will clog up society (keep pressure on the housing market and medical facilities), for the same money spend here these people could actually have great last years of their life. Rather then be stuck in depressing facilities with just enough attention to keep them alive. It would create good local jobs as well as improve medical and other facilities.

7. chi town

chi town DI Member Showcase Reviewer Air Force Active Duty

Ratings:
    +47 / 1
    Lots of girls training as nurses aides and caretakers here in the Phils. Most work for free, right out of school, in hospitals since they need experience before anyone will hire them overseas. Many don't make it overseas. I'm sure between family and caretakers, nurses aides, you could be cared for very well. If you hire some of the bikini care givers, your will to live might even be restored.

8. OP
    OP
    Maximus

Maximus DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    That is exactly what I have in mind! and I'll do the interview myself and they will have to personally demonstrate their skills :p

9. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    It happened to me last year that a bunch of "volunteers" from Foundation University came to my house. It was a kind of project, where they went in groups of 4 - 6 to the surrounding areas to examine and "take care" of the "needed". Don't think they expected to run into a crazy German though.... :D

I can't remember a single day in my life where I felt so bad and needed that much things to be taken care of.

It was about August, but I am a kind of sure they erased my house from their street map, so this year I might not be able to participate in that valuable program... :(

10. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    LOL....Rhoody, maybe next time don't ask them for a sponge bath......

Back to the original topic...It's my understanding that there are now a few aged care centers for Japanese outside of Manila now....I've heard they are good but have no idea if the Japanese govt is assisting, or if it is purely private. The proximity to Manila is due to health care access. Hard to think that Negros, or most other islands, could offer much - particularly if foreign governments got involved with the oversight and funding. Likely only Manila and Cebu City would muster enough confidence from overseas. But take the point....far better to do the final years in a pleasant caring Philippine environment than some American Medicaid shithole fighting the cockroaches for crackers....or even the Aussie equivalent...less cockroaches - and tea with the crackers...