Dumaguete Info Search

Does this make sense (Driving licence and vaccination)

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Notmyrealname, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I have been informed that people need to have vaccination certificates for Covid-19 to apply for a driving licence (or renewal).

Without getting into the 'but that's their fault for not being vaccinated' this means that anyone unable to comply will have to use public transport or walk - both contributory factors to spreading Covid (especially when Omicron arrives, if not already here).

Perhaps this is something someone just made up in the local LTO - who knows.

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    And then they can make vaccination mandatory for taking public transportation, leaving walking or riding a bicycle the only option. Then they could make vaccines mandatory for entering any establishment...and then you don't have anywhere to walk to. Duterte had some pretty harsh words about the unvaccinated last week (something about holding them down and forcing vaccination on them). Of course, these are just words but it seems that he would be more than willing to sign any vaccine mandate legislation that was put on his desk.

3. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Yes, Duterte has - but faces opposition from politicians about anything being mandatory. As an unvaccinated I would agree with mandatory vaccination as every country has to do the best for all its citizens. Approaching May I guess that anything controversial is going to become more difficult for him - so many 'lame duck' leaders around the world now! But, on a separate issue, it is great to see the President has just signed a law prohibiting child marriage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    He isn't up for reelection. He doesn't have to worry about votes. Maybe he will be cautious since his daughter is running for office though.

5. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    He will just find it more difficult because opponents only have to care about his reactions for the period to July and not afterwards. Btw, I think his daughter is in a strong position to influence politics for 12 years - she could be VP for 6 and then President for 6. That makes sense as to why she seems to have stood down from the very strong chance of being President this time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    CLARIFICATION: One of the people told by an employee at the LTO he had to have a vaccination certificate drove a round trip of 30 km to get his - it was never asked for. Then the reason given for this rule was that they will process vaccinated people first and the unvaccinated might miss out even if they arrived early - but that did not happen.

Some people have been going to the LTO daily since Tuesday 4th January and are due to return tomorrow. I'm pleased I don't drive here.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

7. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    "....make sense..." ???
    People who believe vaccines save lives and reduce serious illness agree.
    People who don't believe in vaccines don't think it makes sense.
    Thats the way the world is. Debate is a waste of time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jim787

jim787 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 38
    I can inform you and all that in my recent experience it is not asked for either (1) applying online for 5-year renewal, nor (2) in-person when going in for the medical (which is rubber stamped).

However, it is apparently impossible to complete the on-line renewal because there are no open appointment dates available, either at Dumaguete or elsewhere. Does anyone know what's up with that? Are the offices temporarily closed, as in the NCR?

9. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090
    I showed up at LTO wearing a speedo swimsuit and bare feet, just wanted to film the look on their face. They asked what Country I am from and of coarse I say France. I always say France when doing something insanely obtuse.

• Funny Funny x 4