Dumaguete Info Search

Dogs and rat poison

Discussion in 'Hobbies and special interests' started by ShawnM, Feb 19, 2015.

1. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    It took me a bit to figure out where to post this. We have gotten close to some neighbors so it was tough to hear they lost their dog today.

Rats are a problem here, and they can be big. They set out some poison in the house before leaving for the morning with the thoughts the door would be closed, workers and family members come and go. Long story short their dog went in an open door and ate the rat poison.

We went to Dumaguete this morning so did not hear about it until much later after we got back. We had some family at the house while we were gone to do some welding on the trike and the pup we call Ms. Violet would shoot out every time the gate was opened...and even twice after we got home.

The dog that got into the rat poison was the mother of the runt we have and her brother we picked up later from them. They had one of our pups for awhile but she was a bit too active for them so they gave her back...Ms. Violet to us but Beauty when they owned her.

They had their dog for 10 years so it was a tremendous loss to them, the wife talked to them for awhile. I don't know why Violet wanted to get out so much today but maybe she felt the loss as she played with her and stayed with them.

We have a pure breed Belgian Malinois, Dalmatian, their pups and 2 pretty small mutts and we love them all the same...

I need to look around for a small dog to gift them with...so if anyone knows of any small puppies (mutts are fine) let me know.

Shawn

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Animals can be come part of a family, my two local sons, Imp and Uggy are surely part of my family. I try to be very careful of any poisons from ant poisons on up as well as household cleaners. My condolences for your losses for community losses..

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Yea, I can't imagine the pain that dog went through before she passed. We have no issues with rats in the house but have an ongoing problem with the nipa, trying to go mostly with traps but have used some poison in the "attic" area and was really worried about that as both our adult dogs have been known to kill and eat rats.

Pets really do become part of the family and it would really hurt us if one went that route. My wife is the one to speak to them the most and the old guy teared up with the loss of their dog and his wife also pretty shaken up...it was painful for them to have to burry her. I had no idea that she was 10 years old...looked like a rug mop to me, but see her in both of the pups we got from them.

If someone knows of a smaller pup I can get my hands on I would be willing to make a trade for one of my bigger pups; I just think it would be a good gesture from our part.

Shawn

• Like Like x 2
  4. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Just an update; the wife was talking to the neighbors wife and she mentioned how much her husband missed the pup of ours (Ms. Violet) but they were too ashamed to ask me if they could have her back. I'm a big softy and I could see how much he loved the pup, especially the few days after their dog passed and the pup would run over to visit. Obviously they have her back and are a bit more keen on how to deal with a pup with such an energy drive. She actually comes over to our house (sits outside the gate until we hear her) after she has had her evening meal there. She plays with our pups for an hour or so and then we let her out to go home.

They say that after her playtime she is really affectionate and then wants to go to sleep. Looks like things are working out and we enjoy seeing and playing with her a bit each evening (she was Cherry's favorite pup). They also know they can drop her off anytime if they are going to be away for an extended amount of time.

Shawn

• Like Like x 3