Dumaguete Info Search

Driver's License

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Cletus, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Cletus

Cletus DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +357 / 107
    I applied for and received Philippines driver's license last week. At the back of Robinson's mall is and LTO office where they gave me a form to fill out. They sent me next door for a drug test, eye test, and overall health including blood pressure. Costs: little over 400 pesos. Took results back to LTO next door where they told me they could only issue renewals and I would have to go to main LTO office for driver's license.
    Next day went to LTO main office at 8:30 AM. Gave papers to lady at window 2. She was mumbling and I could not hear her even after putting my ear up to the hole in the glass. She sent me to another window where I could hear the guy just fine, I think she did not speak english well and was embarassed. They said to have a seat and wait for picture taking, (they had taken pic at drug test the day before), but camera was broken and they were working on it. o_O At a little after 11 am they got the camera fixed. They took my pic 3 more times plus fingerprints. Paid a little over 600 pesos and I was on my way. :smile::smile::smile:

2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Cletus, What were the Requirements if you don't mind me asking.

JP

3. OP
    OP
    Cletus

Ratings:
    +357 / 107
    JP, I presented my valid US driver's license. They photocopied the passport and driver's license. That took place at Robinson's LTO office.

The main LTO office wanted a copy of the entry in my US passport verifying that I had been in the country less than 90 days. I had to go down the street to an internet cafe and get a copy, 2 pesos.

They took my blood pressure which I thought was a bit odd. Good thing they took it then rather than wait until I had been waiting for 3 hours at the main LTO office while they repaired the cameras. :smile: The wait gave me a chance to work on my patience! :D They gave me the license and I was on my way.

I also met a very nice man and his daughter. They are Filipino and he had lived in US for 19 years and worked as a physical therapist. He is Tagalog, wife is therapist also and still in US. Really a nice guy. :smile:

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  4. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    AH OK! so it was an exchange license not a new application,

Thanks Cletus.

JP

5. denpet

denpet DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +351 / 96
    Blood Type:
    O+
    So, they are back AGAIN doing drug tests now? They seem to not be able to make up their mind. They abandoned that nation wide last year. Then region 7 implemented their own requirement and start taking them again. Then, as of this summer they stopped again. And now, they are back on?
    I guess the one selling the drug tests to the test centers have a good friend in LTO :-D

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Cletus

Ratings:
    +357 / 107
    I was surprised as I had not even studied for the drug test. :cool:

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    :confused:Studied?

8. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I have tested many drugs, but now stick to alcohol

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    The mrs applied for her re newal licence on jan 14 and is still waiting for the licence. Sorry ma'am no more plastic cards. Same as yesterday at smoke test center had to pay for new plates at p450 but no new plates printed for this area yet. Only new cars issued with them!

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I got that story for more than 6 months with my last license. Just carry around the receipt (I laminated it lol) and accept that is how the Philippines works. The LTO don't care, the police don't care......therefore, I don't care. :rolleyes: I recommend laminating all of your official receipts (BoI, LTO, BIR), everyone gets a good kick out of it and you don't have to worry about it getting worn out. :hilarious:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1