Dumaguete Info Search

Driving at night

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Jack Peterson, May 15, 2017.

1. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    :nailbiting: In an earlier Thread I mentioned that I am not a lover of Night driving, early in the Evening always seems worse to me and I tend not to notice things of less importance than trying to Dodge the No light Brigade and not run over walkers who insist on walking 2 abreast on the Road. There is no point moaning of course cos it is what they have always done.
    Last night I was out later than I normally would have been and noticed a little more the things I had not seen before. (Not unusual I suppose) One thing that became apparent was the Dimness of lighting along the Road. As I got nearer Home, I noticed that the Lighting was in fact getting Dimmer and made Lightless and poorly lit Bikes and Trikes and even some cars (with bad earthing) difficult to see. Then when I got to my Barangay Twilight is the word I am looking For.
    My garden has better lighting and I have to turn off the security lights on the House when I am reversing the Car into its parking Place beside the house. To me, our beloved Captains seem to be changing to LED lamps ( I believe they are responsible for lamps) but very low wattage, That's Ok on walkways I guess but on the Barangay Roads we really do need some better lights and of course the brighter the better on the Main Roads But......:banghead: Budget was the answer I got. To me, there is not a lot of Difference from a 3 watt lamp to a 5 or even 7 watt lamp where safety is concerned. I am pretty sure that it is not just me that notices this or is it that I just don't like Night Driving and can see the Pitfall of Cheapness :cautious:

• Like Like x 3
  2. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I think the problem is that locals have eyes which are more adapted to see in the dark (and most of them have younger eyes).

I say this because I have been walking along pitch black sidewalks and heard voices from the darkness say "Hey Joe, my friend. Where are you going" and I could not see a blessed thing, not even the whites of their eyes. Fortunately they were friendly fellows.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Flashlights were for old folks (who can afford) way back when :smuggrin:

4. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    I have doubts about that. It seems to me that a great number of locals, driving in the night, have problems with their eyes, considering the cars and motorbikes with full headlight they refuse to dim when a vehicle is approaching from the opposite direction. Not to mention all those cars with fog lights on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    I presume you mean the Spot lamps? You know I wondered about this and spoke to Suzuki, it seems that the newer cars have then positioned as low as they can get them and angled down to the Road and not ahead. But have to agree that those self administered ones and the High ones that some SUV's have are dangerous to oncoming vehicles

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Apparently you have mis-interpreted high-beams, fog lights, driving lights, etc. as being used to see at night. They seem to be more 'correctly' thought of as decorative lights, same as red/blue/green ufo lights found pointing down, and every other direction.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I have switched our outside light to LED and am very pleased with how bright it is, lights up a large area around the house, the twisty Fluro type bulb out the back recently blew and I plan to buy another bright LED Bulb to replace that one also. I bought from Unitop and asked the young guy for the brightest LED Bulb they had so am unsure of what rating it is...

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I bought a Headlamp from eBay before I left Oz, I paid around $50AUD for it and I use it every time I go outside or think I will be home late. It throws a light like NOTHING I have ever experienced before where I can easily see around 200 meters in front of me like it is day time!

I use it to walk around the house at night also (on the 2nd dimmer setting) and for safety it has a Strobe function where I have tried it out and none of the family can see me (or the large Butcher knife in my hand) behind the light when it is flashing and blinding them at the same time, so can work very well to your advantage should you need... Anyone who walks at night or feels the need for a bit of security, I would highly advise buying a GOOD LED Headlamp! :thumbsup:

I have also been hit with High Beam from Buses and Trucks when walking alongside the highway facing traffic at night, so would make a better headlight than most you see on the roads here after sunset! :biggrin:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    J,M&J! I can't stop laughing :hilarious:

10. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    A new meaning for "mental enlightement"! :woot::wacky::whistling::smile:

Still interesting to know the brand of a such head lamp and where to get it even outside of ebay. Availability on the Phils?