Dumaguete Info Search

Government & Education Driving School?

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Don, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Don

Don DI Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 1
    Can anyone give me info on a 'decent', honest driving school in Duma or Sibuland?
    Thanks....

2. JayBee

JayBee DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    I am also looking for one. I do remember seeing a flyer at Whynot or Garcias once, but was not there when I checked this week. Any help would be appreciated.

3. hawk263

hawk263 DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Army

Retired
    Ratings:
    +488 / 81
    Blood Type:
    A+
    From Robinson's take the national highway thru town, past the wet market, turn left by the Caltex fuel stn, then first left, then first right and then the place is on your left about 60 metres up. I think it's called 'Global' or some such name.
    They taught my wife to drive and she's a very safe driver now.

4. barryrio

barryrio DI Member

Ratings:
    +328 / 26
    My missus just finished her driving lessons on Friday. Very happy with the results. The school is called Global Link and is situated on 1st floor of Number 5, Dr Marciano Street (Foundation University is reference point for trike). I am told that they are pretty well booked up over summer so would be best to get your name in asap. They use a Kia Sportage that's seen better days (ie: aircon not working) but the instructor is good and highly recommended.

5. barryrio

barryrio DI Member

Ratings:
    +328 / 26
    I neglected to mention: They charge around 6,700 pesos for an all-day lecture (on a Saturday) on vehicle controls and basic maintenance checks plus ten hours of driving instruction. A further ten hours costs an additional 2,500 pesos.

6. baltoed

baltoed DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +18 / 6
    I have 2 questions to that Barryrio if you please..

One is the Kia an automatic or a standard? I think knowing how to be stopped on a hill and not drifting back into the guy behind you or worse..stalling the car can be the most demanding drive know how of all.
    Two..is that 10 hours of you driving behind the wheel..or just being present in the car with the instructor telling who ever is driving what to do?

Thanks ahead

Ed

7. OP
    OP
    Don

Don DI Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 1
    And my turn please! How do they space the 10 hrs of driving time? Several hours a day; once, twice, three times a week - or what?

I already know my asawa will need the extra time...... ({Going on 7 / 8 summers of trying to learn manual shift- still can't get past 2rd gear and steer with one hand while shifting....... sigh....:-) } O-|O-|

I ask 'cuz we live out in the province and it will be a bit difficult to go to Duma more than 2 a week. and....what the hell do I do in Duma all day while waiting to hear the asawa crashed the instructor's car? ( Maybe I'll just wait at the ER?)

LOL!! OH! That reminds me! Who carries the insurance on the student driver? Global?
    Also, did they want the wife to have a LTO learners/student permitin hand?
    Thanks much, barryrio.

8. barryrio

barryrio DI Member

Ratings:
    +328 / 26
    Hi Guys: They do teach hill starts, yes. The car is a manual (stick shift for our American cousins). The ten hours driving means ten hours behind the wheel for the pupil. Initially the instructor drives from the school to a secluded spot to learn the basics but towards the end of the course the pupil is thrown in the deep end and drives to and from the school itself, which entails negotiating the main market area with all the attendant mayhem, so if they can cope there they can cope anywhere. They also teach parallel parking, etc.
    In our case, the missus did two hours at a time, initially from 7.30 to 9.30 am then 3.30 -5.30 pm (rush hour), but I believe that the schedule is purely based on number of students at the time.
    The student must obtain student permit from LTO. The school will fill out application for you and send you to see someone they know in LTO to expedite the procedure. In our case, took about an hour in all. They can also help expedite issue of full license (for a fee, naturally!)
    As for insurance, I am embarrassed to say that must confess that I overlooked that, but I can say that the car was street legal, with the necessary rego and stickers.
    We live in Dauin, so I would just talk a wander round the malls to kill time lol.
    All in all I was impressed though. The instructor is a nice bloke and seems to manage to get things across well, which is the most important consideration, and works well with the tools provided.
    Best of luck, guys! Barry

9. barryrio

barryrio DI Member

Ratings:
    +328 / 26
    By the way - is that the Don who used to ride a red and white Africa twin and a KTM Adv?

10. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    No, different Don.