Dumaguete Info Search

Drug test - Filipino driving licence.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Broadside, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    No more drug test for drivers licence. A provision in the Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002 that requires mandatory drug testing for those applying for drivers licences has been revoked under the Anti-Drunk and Drugged Driving Act of 2013. Senate Majority Leader Vicente Sotto III said Republic Act No. 10586 did not only remove a useless requirement for licence applicants but also allowed motorists a respite from costly drug tests. The drug test costs more than P200 !!! Sen. Sotto, principal author of RA 10586, stressed that there is no more mandatory drug testing when one applies for or renews a drivers licence. "The new law expressly revoked Section 36(a) of the Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002 which mandated the drug testing. The mandatory drug test has not served its' purpose" he added. Sotto made the statement to make sure that LTO and its' satellite offices will follow the provisions of the new law to the letter. He explained that the repealing clause in RA 10586 specifically stated that mandatory drug testing was among those deemed inconsistent with the new law, which President Aquino signed last May 30th. Under RA 10586, drug testing will only be conducted for those driving under the influence (DUI) as determined by law enforcement authorities based on certain manifestations, like over-speeding, weaving, lane straddling, swerving and others. ..................... Love the last sentence; if they intend to apply drug testing for those activities, it sounds like a full-time job for an army of enforcers !! :confused: (Source 1; Philippine Star. Source 2; Wallace business Forum, both dated 24 June 2013.)

2. MalmoMan

MalmoMan Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Finally drug users and abusers can apply for a drivers license..... increased reveny for LTO. Philippines as a developing country is going fast forward for the betterment and security for all.

3. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    Makes perfect sense to me, what the heck, no driving road test or written tests so why bother with a drug test. O-|

4. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Hmmm..... I wonder what the accident rate will be like a year from now.

5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Not a d*mn bit different. The meth heads just drove without license or registration anyways. They won't enforce the drinking driving law unless at a checkpoint and in case of accident......although I'm sure that they will forget to test a Filipino if he hits a foreigner.

6. onlymichael

onlymichael DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    One reason I left the USA was all the d*mn laws taking away individual freedoms. Drivers should not be punished ahead of time, only for bad things they do while driving. Increase the penalties for drivers who are intoxicated or commit other bad acts after they cause accidents. I don't like living in a place where the gov. is looking up your a** at every turn. Many drunks can drive better than some sober people and you cannot legislate stupidity. I am the original founder of DAMM: Drunks against mad mothers ;-)

7. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    So the next thing they should cancel would have to be the totally useless "Smoke Test", I sure admire the attitude of "Senate Majority Leader Vicente Sotto III" to actually change a law that was so ineffective and to admit it, this "Smoke Test" is just as ineffective...

8. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    yes ineffective because they have the engine off while they preform the test and a photo as evidence of the test being done OMG

9. OP
    OP
    Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Totally agree about the smoke test. Took my bike to be tested on Monday at the test centre opposite Cangs. Went to collect it after one hour and there was an ancient 10-wheeler going through the motions of being tested. The sensor was jammed in to the exhaust pipe with a chunk of wood, even though the exhaust box had a large hole in it. The driver then revved the engine so high that the wood and sensor shot out of the pipe, and the test centre was enveloped in thick black diesel exhaust. Even so, the driver picked up his certificate at the same time as I got mine. About an hour later, I saw the same truck chugging along the boulevard, belching out smoke and fumes. Complete waste of time and nothing more than a revenue collector. It would have some credibility if it was done conscientiously and accompanied by a roadworthy test, similar to the TUV test in Europe or the MoT test in UK, but that would put 95% of the vehicles off the road. And it makes no sense to test a vehicle once a year, but never ever test the driver !!

10. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466