Dumaguete Info Search

Passport Question Dual citizenship for child born in the USA

Discussion in 'Passports and Visas' started by dodong, May 13, 2013.

1. dodong

dodong DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    My wife is a Filipino citizen. She has her permanent residency visa here in the states, and plans to become a dual citizen. Our son was born here yesterday, so he's an American citizen. From what I've read online, it seems like he is also a Filipino citizen because his mother still is. We would very much like him to have dual citizenship. If anyone has any experience with this, we'd really appreciate hearing about it. Thanks!

2. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    dodong, congratulations on the birth of your son. I don't have the answer for you as my son was born in Dumaguete and I had to go to Cebu to file US citizenship and a passport. You may want to apply for a US passport for your son so if you travel here he will have it.

3. alesypalsy

alesypalsy DI Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 5
    Congrats, Just look up the Philippine embassy there in the USA, they will process the passport for you, I have daughter born in uk, we done her Phil passport in the embassy

Very easy

4. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    You can not have a Philippine passport if you don't have the Philippine citizenship.
    So first you have to apply for dual citizenship.

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Yes, he is a natural born dual citizen. You need to file a report of birth abroad at the Philippine embassy or consulate that serves your area, then you can apply for a Philippine passport.

Larry

6. OP
    OP
    dodong

dodong DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Thanks everyone!