Dumaguete Info Search

Dual Citizenship question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by midway, Jul 25, 2013.

1. midway

midway DI Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +285 / 28
    Just a brief overview. My wife is a a Filipina, we met about a quarter century ago while I was stationed in the Philippines. My wife came to the US and gained her citizenship.

We are planning on retiring to the Philippines, but not for a few years at earliest. If she gets her dual citizenship (regains her Philippine citizenship) before we get ready to retire will we owe the RP income taxes on her income prior to retirement.

I know that retirement income earned overseas for myself should be tax exempt in the Philippines, but what about my wife if she has dual citizenship. Would her retirement income be taxable in the Philippines?

I would rather be able to buy a house than a condo, and I intend to leave the Philippines every year for deer season (yes, I am a redneck) but I just want to take time looking for any unexpected pitfalls now rather than be surprised later.

Thanks for any advice, Craig

2. redneck

redneck DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Your wife cannot be taxed on here on retirement income from the U.S. as a U.S. citizen. Only income earnd here as a filipino citizen with a TIN number can be taxed here.

3. Sailor24

Sailor24 DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Retired
    Ratings:
    +21 / 4
    Retiring In Philippines

Craig , Wish you luck with your retirement goals ! Biggest mistake of my life was to bring my Filipino wife back to da Philippines after 13 years in da U.S.. She is totally spoiled and says that she hates the Philippines ! Yes , she left already and went back to U.S. ! Ron

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    This is a very common story. I share a similar one.

5. redneck

redneck DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Re: Dual Citizenship question

It is true, many, many filipinos sadly do not ever wish to return to the Philippines once they get to the U.S. There are some, like my spouse, who loves it here, even after being in the U.S. for over 40 years. I hope your wife loves her home country and will not hate returning. Not all of them hate coming back!! Good luck!!

6. OP
    OP
    midway

Ratings:
    +285 / 28
    My wife is the one who has been trying to get me to move back to the Philippines. I would be happy just about anywhere but I will see if I can't keep her happy. I hope that it all works out.

7. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Some people love it here, but others just cannot adapt and find themselves hating it. Probably 50% of those who move here "permanently" can't handle it, and go back to their home country within 3 years. A large portion of those who remain were unwise and invested their life savings into building a home here, etc., before figuring out they just cannot adapt to living here. So they find themselves stuck until they can sell their nice new home...

Larry

8. OP
    OP
    midway

Ratings:
    +285 / 28
    I appreciate that Larry, I have told my wife to plan on living like a gypsy in furnished apartments for at least the first two years while we look for the right place. If we decide its not for us it won't be as hard to leave. Maybe it will work out for us and we will get a good deal on that nice new home.

9. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    That's a great way to keep options a bit more open.

But, does anyone know the main reasons that Filipinos don't like returning permanently?

10. OP
    OP
    midway

Ratings:
    +285 / 28
    I told my wife six months in (or close to) Manila, six months in Subic area, six months wherever else we may chose, maybe Cebu, maybe Iba, who knows, and then a final six months in Dumaguete.

My thoughts are to start off with a large metropolitan area with many of the things we are probably accustomed too and then working our way down through progressively smaller cities. This should give us the general idea of where we want to live, and if we can actually stay in the Philippines or not. Our house payment is rather small compared to what we are looking at for retirement income so the idea currently is that we will rent it through a real estate agency while we are gone. If we decide to stay we will sell our house and buy a condo here in the US near my family (for use during holidays and deer season) and stay in the Philippines the remainder of the time.