Dumaguete Info Search

Dumaguete City named best place to retire in Philippines for 2018 ....

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by tuba-coma, Aug 10, 2018.

1. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Nonono.... horrible place to retire. Now go away! Our traffic is bad enough and prices already rising to fast. lol

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Says more about how bad other places are.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    The biggest complaint tourists have is traffic. Many tourists like to walk. If there is no space for more cars and more parking then make more ways to walk. Make wide sidewalks and give the death penalty to any motorcyclist or vehicle operator who drives or parks on those sidewalks. Turn the city into a futuristic city where people get off their asses and walk. No vehicle of any kind on sidewalks (except and only exception being wheelchairs).

That's my comment :bag:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. RPlongtymer

RPlongtymer DI Junior Member Restricted Account Infamous

Ratings:
    +35 / 7
    The only thing special about Dumaguete is that it's relatively safe and the people are mostly friendly and tolerant. As far as a "best place to retire", that all depends on what an individual is looking for. It's a small town, with a large religious component, terrible shopping, little or no arts, lousy beaches, steadily worsening bad air, ditto traffic. If you just want to kick back and are satisfied with mediocre restaurants, a rather uneducated populace, and you have a partner in life, it's ok. These media outlets will publish just about anything they think will get people to read, with little regard for any quality research. But it is rapidly changing and not for the better.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  6. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I don't know how much impact this award will have since it was given by the PRA. Might not get much traction in media outside of the Philippines.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    When I take the article above and read between the lines, I'll get these:
    1. Expect that the real estate prices will be increasing even more.
    2. Expect even more traffic mess in the city.
    3. Expect that there will be more bad residentals and tourists coming to Dumaguete and surrounding areas.
    4. Expect even more loss in service qualities and availabilities of stuff.
    There are better cities or areas on the Philippines than Dumaguete, but it is still in the upper third of all cities or areas.
    Bad with Dumagute is, that there is nearly no advancement in the city. It is even worse, it looks even that the city is degrading slowly.

When I compare Dumaguete with Ormoc City, the latter is quite improving and advancing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Genius Genius x 1
  8. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Always best to get into a place while it is improved enough to live comfortably but before they ask P10,000 sq m for a lot.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    When I check around the lot prices are quite fast increasing to your mentioned price.
    Davao, which was a cheap city to live till 2016 experienced an explosion in the real estate prices in year 2017 and still rising strongly in 2018. Even condos costing 39 mio to 78 mio PHP (!) are sold out! :wideyed::wacky::whistling:
    I fear that same will happens also to Dumaguete and surrounding municipalities.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    I know I for one would pick up and head someplace else in the RP if could find one more suitable. Problem is the options are very limited. Dumaguete was much nicer 7-8 years ago when I first came here and since there has been little in improvements beyond no brownout every other weekend. Traffic is insane, we still don't have a decent mall, beaches which were alright before getting even worse, seems even fewer good restaurants and more mediocre ones.

As of now Dumaguete has the congestion of a big city, the shopping of a little city, and still the prices of a big city are getting closer and closer daily. However I like probably many of you see a few simple changes or at least should be simple to improve traffic and congestation but nothing will ever be done here.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1