Dumaguete Info Search

Dumaguete or Ormoc

Discussion in '☋ Dining - Nightlife - Entertainment ☋' started by boricua, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boricua

boricua DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a real problem trying to decide if I should trying living in Dumaguete or Ormoc. I have researched several options and have narrowed it down to these to fine cities. Former military such as myself seem to be in abundance in Dumaguete while not so much in Ormoc. In Ormoc, I have access to the Super Kat which will get me into Cebu in a couple of hours. This will enable me to get to the ROA office so I can get my meds from the VA. I guess it will probably boil down to cost of living. I'll be departing for Manila on Sept 6th, so I guess I'll probably have to pay a visit to both cities and then decide. I won't be turning over my balikbayan boxes until mid August, so I guess I have some time to make a final decision. :confused:

2. sfgb35

sfgb35 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My planned stay in Ormoc was three days, however i enjoyed being there so much i stayed for a week. The BBQ area and nightly drinking is great fun, and while the Mall is tiny, the Cinema is aweful, its still a quiet peaceful place to live, hang out and explore. Dumaguete, and Ormoc are on a level par and yes it's a tough choice, but Dumaguete wins . . . But not by much . . .

3. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    boricua, Dumaguete is in a safe zone from typhoons. I looked up Ormoc on the Wikipedia and they show the following comment:
    In November 1991, the Ormoc region was inundated by Tropical Storm Thelma (local name: Uring). Flash floods and landslides killed more than 6,000 people, mostly in Ormoc itself.

4. Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I remember that well. I had friends in Ormoc so was glued to the TV for several days. They blamed the flood on illegal logging in the mountains above the city. I've worked around some disasters but nothing prepared me for the images of bodies being hauled away by the dump truck load.

5. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    My friend lives in Ormoc, he says he likes Dumaguete much better.

6. josephen

josephen DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Never been to Ormoc (yet) but Cebu is also VERY accessible from Dumaguete via fast ferries so no worries about your medicines and big shopping.

7. biggles

biggles DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I like Ormoc, always make a point of going there when I am in cebu. However, in comparison to Dumaguete its a very small place, limited shopping, nowhere near as cleanor as much activity.
    I have loved dumaguete since the first visit six or so years ago and it just seems to get better. I can see that the meds issue is important to you, but how often do you go? If it were me I pick dumaguete. You do have the supercat from ormoc but a limited service, and you also have the option of a plane from dmgte. it may take slightly longer from dgte to cebu but I think the lifestyle would be better.

8. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
  9. OP
    OP
    boricua

boricua DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I appreciate your input. I'll take a trip to Dumaguete and see if it is a place that I would like to live. Sounds like it could be a good choice. Thanks again

10. Rarity54f

Rarity54f DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Ormoc is always flooded and is always hit by typhoons. I also read some scary crime stories there involving massacres. I hope you make the best choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.