Dumaguete Info Search

Question Dumaguete to Cebu ferries

Discussion in 'Tourist Information' started by ChMacQueen, Aug 21, 2016.

1. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Anyone know of any ferries left to Cebu that aren't horrible? There used to be a midnight ferry that had aircon *tourist* area, cabins, and suites but they are closed up now. All I could find is one that runs at 11pm and only has the very nasty open air beds (and using that term loosely). I've seen some of these and I wouldn't want to be caught there as a foreigner in that area.

I really miss the old fast crafts from Duma to Cebu from a number of years back.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #5 by Cerne, Aug 26, 2016 (4 points)
  3. redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    ChMacQueen, I can't comment on the "horrible" rides, but the last time we were here (about 9 months ago), you could still book Dumaguete-Cebu and vice-versa on OceanJet fast craft via Tagbilaran without changing boats, but only if you rode the one boat a day does the Duma leg in each direction. If you booked that one, you didn't have to disembark in Tagbilaran as the boat continued on to Cebu (or Dumaguete) after picking up passengers in Tagbilaran. The Oceanjet website shows it as two separate voyages, but the ticket agents were able to book as if one ticket (you may possibly have to change seats in Tagbilaran though). Each leg about two hours as I recall, with about 20 minutes or so layover in Tagbilaran.
    Maybe someone else can chime in to let you know if this is still the case.
    One other thing, it seems like the last couple of times I was in the ferry terminal, they were handing out free copies of the Cebu Daily News which has a pretty good shipping guide that SEEMS to have relatively up to date ferry schedules. I was able to grab a current copy which I've attached, hope it helps :smile:

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    Yup agree, Ocean Jet do the round trip via Tagbilaran every day. If I fly in through Cebu on Ethihad I can usually deplane, taxi it down to Cebu Pier for a 7am trip and be home (Siquijor) for a cold one around about 1-2pm.

Vice versa not as convenient...leaving with OJ, at about 1pm calling at Dumaguete at 2-ish and on to Cebu arriving 6-8pm if memory serves me. My return flight is usually the following day, so a night in a hotel is the usual pattern.

The trip is aircon, bucket seats and old action movies downstairs and inside, there is an open air top deck with canopy. Business class passengers (lol) can freeze to death upstairs too. The air con blows somewhere between Essence of Siberia and Pleasant Morning Hoar Frost Greenland... comfortable but a bit pricey imho.

The last time I took the trip the aircon caught fire causing mass hysteria. A well aimed extinguisher deployed by a seaman in the obligatory vest and shorts put it out. Five minutes later he was back as it caught fire again, and again, and again. Pointing out that it might help to unplug the d*mn thing brought a shrug and a smile. But that was the most eventful thing that has ever happened in umpteen trips. OJ is generally safe, generally fast and on time...and for sure, they don't take risks either with sailing conditions. Well run outfit I believe.

Cheers,

C

• Informative Informative x 3
  5. gouldian

gouldian DI New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    cerne
    you mentioned trips between Duma and Siquijor, I will be travelling that way and then Siquijor via Duma to Tagbilaran.
    Are there ferries direct Siquijor to Tagbiliran, If not are there other options say Wessam that leave earlier than Ocean Jet.
    Ken

6. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    Best Answer
    Hi Gouldian,

I'm not sure if there are, either from Siquijor pier or Larena. I don't know as I was probably told and dismissed it out of hand as either too long or too uncomfortable. Either way, the Ocean Jet is the best way to get to Tagbilaran.

I've hired a banka from Talinigting to Balicasag to take family to a funeral, but that isn't recommended. Likewise I've hired a pump boat to do the same to deliver a couple of pigs (pigs do not make good seamen believe me). From Balicasag it's a short ferry to Panglao and a trike onto Tagbilaran.

You could take earlier ferries from either Siquijor or Larena...Jaylan, Lite Ferries, Jazeel or other slow ro-ro craft. Just pitch up at the pier either in Larena or Suquijor and ask for times a couple of days before. Beware as they sometimes cancel at short notice if either there is bad weather coming in, a mechanical breakdown, or they don't have enough passengers. You can rely on OJ to sail in anything other than bad weather.

With OJ it's a short detour from Siquijor to Dumaguete (about an hour) and then on to Tagbilaran. Easiest, fastest and most comfortable...no short cuts in the Phils!

Cheers,

C

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. gouldian

gouldian DI New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    thanks Cerne
    the internet info is confusing and there appears to be no clear info.
    your reply is much appreciated.
    thanks Ken

8. karebear

karebear DI New Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Navy

Retiree
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Thank You for the great information and the story! I am looking into traveling by OJ from Cebu to Dumaguete next month. Now I know!

KB