Dumaguete Info Search

Duterte Asked to Sign Free College Bill

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by Rye83, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Lawmakers on Thursday urged President Duterte to immediately sign the free college bill after both Houses of Congress passed it in plenary sessions earlier this week.

The House of Representatives and the Senate have ratified the Universal Access to Quality Tertiary Education, which aims to make college education accessible to Filipino students in state universities and colleges (SUCs).

Read more...

Wonder how the Philippine government is going to pay for this? The title of the bill is a bit misleading; it wouldn't lead to "free" college for anyone...though it would reduce costs.

2. anti_crazy

anti_crazy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +262 / 48
    How will they pay for this? Two ways; print more fiat currency or increase cost for visas ( by 700% - like they did with Philhealth).
    Or, they can ask almost-bankrupt Russia to help.
    Not sure how much more they could borrow / gift from China.

3. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Their official international beggar will just have to go out and suck more dick I suppose. Sucks for him that the number of wealthy countries that are anti-US/West, entertained by his rhetoric and willing to donate large sums of money to the Philippines is standing firm at 0. Beggars can't be choosers.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Plainspoken

Plainspoken DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    The free college is still not in effect and I know it may take 15 or 20 years to become a reality, but I have a serious question. I am considering sending someone to college in Cebu, a state college is fine, and am interested if anyone here has recent actual experience with this and can give me an idea of costs. This person lives in Cebu and only needs the educational type expenses met. They have food and a roof. I looked on line and it looks like the state school would be 10 to 20kP a year. I have no idea if this is even close or not, so I am asking for input.
    hence my question.

5. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    See http://www.finduniversity.ph/search.aspx?sch=1&prov=cebu

There are probably lots of mom and pop institutions that are cheaper, but the diploma is worth about as much as the paper it's printed on.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    In the Philippines you need a 4 year degree to work at McDonald's. A 4 year degree is worth a lot more than the paper is printed on, even from the cheaper colleges. One of those degrees will allow a Filipino to move up from "grinding poverty" to "dirt poor".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Plainspoken

Plainspoken DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    Even with the degree the malls and big stores use the 6 month contracts to pay usually about half of minimum wage, which I think is about 591 a day, and avoid paying any benefits. Most of the help in the large stores are paid about 250 to 300 from what they, the people working there, (I asked), and my friends and relatives that work or have worked there have told me. Seems like some would have to make more but I just haven't heard of any. As a bonus you get a uniform that they charge you 500 for and deduct from your check. You also get to stand on a stool and be physically searched every time you leave the store for lunch or end of day. For that kind of pay the humiliation is worth it. The contracts use a previous loophole that allows an employer to work someone for a trial period of 6 months at a lower than legal minimum wage and with no benefits. When the contract is up they are dismissed. Occasionally they keep someone but then they have to pay them minimum and contribute to SSS and pay for Phil Health. My understanding is that most are dismissed and then wait a month then re apply and do another contract. These contracts are actually not legal anymore but that is so far ignored and no one enforces the law. There are many jobs in Cebu at the smaller places that pay 200 to 250 a day that will require that you work for FREE for a few days to a week for "training". As Wrye said, "From grinding poverty to dirt poor"

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  8. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Agreed, that a degree is better than no degree. Are you telling me that a degree from UPI-Manila doesn't provide more opportunities than a degree from Mama's Computer School?

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Honestly, no. The advantage comes from the family's capability to pay for UTI-Manila (not a typo), not the quality of education. Money and family status equals success in the Philippines. If any of the elite graduated from Mama's Computer School they would still be running the show.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    I will add three comments to this. First, international companies in the Philippines will hire UPI grads. Second, the elite families here might send their children to good universities abroad. Lastly, there is a clique where UPI alumni will hire UPI grads; Silliman does the same here.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1