Dumaguete Info Search

Duterte,no more public bidding for public work projects.

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by DavyL200, Jan 28, 2018.

1. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    DAVAO CITY — President Rodrigo Duterte on Saturday said he wanted to eliminate the bidding process for public work projects because it has only caused delays in the completion of government projects and bred corruption.

“So henceforth, all projects of the Philippines would be something like a ‘Swiss challenge.’ If I want [a] building, if I want a highway, if I want railroads built, I’ll show to you (contractors) where it is. There would be an open space for everybody,” the President said.

Under the Swiss challenge system, a government agency that receives an unsolicited proposal for a project from a private group invites third parties to match or offer a better proposal. The original project proponent would be allowed to match that counterbid or improve on it.

Read more: Duterte: No more public bidding on big projects

2. OP
    OP
    DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Lets hope that includes a local construction company on negros who are know for shoddy work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It won't change a thing. They will just find another way to cheat the system and steal from Filipinos.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    “Aside from delays caused by the bidding process, there is no guarantee that end-user agencies get the best quality in the goods and services delivered by winning contractors and suppliers.”

Gee whiz........you should get what you specify and if you don't specify you'll get the cheapest available option. How often do you think lowest cost bidder is bidding the best materials and services? If they got the kick backs out the system, I wonder how much could be spent on better materials. I'd also be interested to know, on average, how much a project is lost to graft.

FWIW:
    IN NUMBERS: Impact of corruption on the Philippines

An estimated P90.7 billion in government revenues have been lost through the graft-ridden Road Board, Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez said, citing the findings of the Commission on Audit (COA).
    P90-B revenues lost to Road Board graft – Speaker

The Philippines Corruption Report

5. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    So instead of letting qualified groups attempt to get the contract with sealed bids, the government agency will go to Larry, his brother Daryl, and his other brother Daryl. Seems the kind of contractor who will get the job is somewhat like what they got on this 5 minute blurb from Newhart

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    And very funny it is too.