Dumaguete Info Search

Eggs Benedict Update

Discussion in 'Dining - Nightlife - Entertainment' started by PatO, Jul 28, 2017.

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    i have to agree with Charlie. Casablanca has the best eggs Benedict.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Perfect timing. On Tuesday morning I went to Casablanca and in front of 7 other expat buddies I ordered the eggs benedict. They watched them being served and heard me out as I gave the following review to them.

I said: "I am trying these eggs benedict one more time because someone on a forum I go to said they were better than the ones at Alima. I want to give them a fair try. First I want to point out that I ordered at the same time as the other 7 gents but was the last to be served. There were indeed 2 portions of egg. The meat was crispy bacon instead of ham or Canadian bacon. The eggs were underdone to the point of 'snotty'. The taste was reasonable but not of the same caliber as Alima. I will re-state my opinion that Alima has the best eggs benny in Dumaguete from all the places and instances I have personally tried." The result is that our group will meet in Alima very soon so I can confirm that they still keep up the great standards.

I would still eat at Casablanca, but I would hesitate to order eggs benedict and be disappointed a third time. For the record, Gunther was there and did drop by the table to say good morning and this is not a complaint. I cleaned my plate and paid my bill, complete with tip. But this is strictly a review of eggs benedict and they are clearly better, IMHO at Alima.

• Informative Informative x 3
  3. OP
    OP
    PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    The reason I went to Casablanca for eggs Benedict this time is because last Tuesday I went to Alima and "no eggs Benedict today sir". At Casablanca my dish had both ham and bacon. The hollendais sauce at Alima had a little more flavor than Casablanca, imho.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    PatO, this is the frustrating thing about this country we are living in. Just when we find something we like, they change it on us. That plus it seems no two people have the same experience so its hard to compare or recommend a place that is consistent.

I hope they have eggs benedict at Alima on my next visit but now I know I cannot count on it. Thanks for the information.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    You know, whilst I am a lover (Or was) of EB, I am surprised at anyone eating too much where they have a Cholesterol problem, they are very high in Cholesterol, of course there are always for and against EB but my Doctor has given them a Thumbs down for me

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Sometimes it seems no ONE person has the same experience that is consistent. Perhaps a result of the ever so common 'no stock sir' that even restos must face in purchasing for their kitchen.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    May in part be due to good quality establishments rejecting unsuitable produce rather than dump it on their diners. The owner at Adamo told me he finds it difficult to get good quality fish between September to February because, he believes, they fish far out and the fish is too old when it is landed. He prefers NOT to serve fish if it is not of the best quality, even if it means the dishes are off the menu that day. I think we can all agree with that policy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I have low cholesterol, but high iron hence why the Blood Doc at Silliman has given Eggs the thumbs down for me, but I can eat in moderation, but I LOVE Eggs so darn much!! :sorry:

• Like Like x 1
  9. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Think I better check out my cholesterol, been eating two eggs every morning :nailbiting:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Depends on your levels mate, if low but concerned, try poaching them in water or making omelettes adding healthy ingredients, if high then cut down asap :wink:

*EDIT* It is the high Iron levels as to the reason I needed to cut down my intake of Eggs