Dumaguete Info Search

Electric Scooters

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by lasvegastwo, Jan 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lasvegastwo

lasvegastwo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Has anyone had any experiance with the new Electric Scooters?

I see a older post about electric scooters in Dgte at a place called Arzaga Motor Technology. Any comments on the performance of the scooter or the company selling them?

While in China last year, the abundance of electric sccoters was surprizing. The government there had major incentives on e-scooters due to the zero emmissions. You would think the same would happen in the Philippines.

Any comments?

2. echir

echir DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I have tried one myself and I'd say it's good! I believe this is the trend of the future because of the world's dwindling oil reserves, And besides, this is a technology that I hoped existed and developed before. If this was the case, our environment now would have been better and greenhouse gases emissions would have been lower and global warming would have been minimal, if not non-existent.

The only hitches for this new technology are the following:
    1. The technology, I guess, is still in its early stages of development and thus there is still some kind of unreliability for this kind of vehicles.
    2. Unavailability of some spare parts.
    3. Speed considerations. The vehicle could not yet go as fast as their gasoline-powered counterparts.
    4. Range of power. There is still limitation when it comes to the number of hours a fully charged vehicle can last. But I heard there is a self-charging electric vehicle coming to the market that charges as it drives through the roads.

Despite all these limitations, I'd buy a new one if I have the ability to do so, more than a gasoline-powered vehicle. I guess the advantages nowadays far outweigh the disadvantages.

3. Teacher

Teacher DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I like them

I have not been on one as of yet but. But have seen a few here in Taiwan seen to be a great way around town. :cool:

4. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    I haven't tried one of the AMT scooters either, but I know the place. Also, Honeycomb Inn is selling a scooter from a different Chinese manufacturer...asking P38,000 for that one. (Which I think is a good bit less than AMT's prices.)

I am going to test some electric motorbike powered Pedicabs. They are more expensive than the petro-powered alternatives, but obviously much cheaper to operate and the noise and emission reductions would be a tremendous lift to the local quality of life!

5. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    That technology has been tried in many countries before and was never successful, and now some people try to develop a "world-saving" idea here with technical standard and reckoned chinese-battery-copies from 1965

that electro - vehicle was and is no solution unless from solar-energy or not from alternative energy-sources, or fast growing energy-sources it is completely useless for the environment. (and please don't tell me something about geothermal power-plant in Valencia, they blow enough unhealthy stuff in the air).

Kick all the 2-stroke bikes of the street, that would reduce the smog significantly. Nobody needs 2.500 trikes in a City like Dumaguete (wonder how Cebu can survive with 750), where you can basically walk everywhere, but for the population of Dumaguete is it to far to walk from LEE Plaza to the Market (5 Minutes), Silliman (6 Minutes) or BDO (3minutes).

3-5 fixed Jeepney-routes in different circles through the city would be enough to cover all areas, starting each 5-10 minutes (like a bus-schedule in areal city).

Talking about energy, tell your family and neighbors that it is no need to have all lights on 24/7, the fans,TV, Radio and/or air-con running even nobody is in the room. x-mas lights can be uninstalled now... I better stop now cause I am sure nobody here would do something stupid like wasting energy anyway...

6. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    biggest waster of power is computers, so Rhoody pull the plug out.:p

7. pecoskid45

pecoskid45 DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    biggest waster of power is computers, so Rhoody pull the plug out.
    Ouch, he got you there Rhoody!
    How bout all those foreigners who have to have ice cold beer? That's got to
    be a big waster of energy. So - - who's up for a warm beer?

8. mrbee

mrbee DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Anyway,you can do the old trick and drop ice cubes into your warm beer.
    Hang on,how much electricity does it take to make the ice in the tropics?
    Back to the drawing board!

9. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    ... hmmm is I think about 100 letters a day, the paper, transportation to a post office, flying it to Europe and other parts in the world, ....I guess my emails need less energy than a postal service, so there is enough Energy left to cool my beer... :D

by the way, I safe about 500 peso monthly on electrical bill since I changed from a 19" monitor to 2 x 22", that surprised me quite actually a bit,
    ...but that falls probably under the topic "development" and using a modern technology, not an ancient one, which failed in the most parts of the world already 20 years ago..

Attached Files:

10. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    You have bought into a popular myth, Rhoody. That is the belief that if an electric-powered vehicle is charged using electricity from a polluting power plant, one has not decreased the pollution entering the environment, yet simply shifted that pollution from the vehicle tail-pipe to the power plant smokestack. This is simply inaccurate due to the massive efficiency advantage an electric motor has over a gas-powered motor.

Electric Vehicles are less expensive to operate, have lower maintenance cost and produce far less net pollution than their petroleum-powered counterparts. (The exact amount of pollution does depend on how the electricity is generated, but even if it is generated by coal or even a gasoline-generator, the electric motor is still more efficient and therefore less polluting--this is why 'hybrid' vehicles are more efficient and less polluting than a pure gas-powered vehicle.)

This article from the American news magazine "BusinessWeek" addresses this myth:

Why Forrest Gump's electric car really is better for the environment - BusinessWeek

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.