Dumaguete Info Search

Emulating white people?

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by RHB, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Inspired by the insipid thread with the Glossy photo of a Filipina trying to look white, I would like to pose a question.

Why is it that Philippine people, both men and women try to be white, hide from the sun, and deny their natural good looks and skin tone? I have never seen this self loathing behaviour before. Wel not since in the 1950,s in north America, but then I was too young to understand black people trying to "pass". Its as if it is somehow undesirable to be who you are.

2. progmeister

progmeister DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Not all pinoys do RHB, when I'm home I drive around without a t-shirt as I love the sun and I want to get my skin tone back. Only takes a few days. There's one word that comes to mind as an answer to your question. Vanity. What else would it be?

3. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    It's the kind of colonial mentality through the ages sipped into the psyche of many filipinos for many generations.Their judgement of beauty is based on the old white colonial masters ,the hispanic migrants considered as elites who were regarded highly and looked up to . Whilst the filipino natives or the indios were looked down ,put on the sidelines during the spanish occupation with less access to socio-economic mobility .With over 300 yrs of spanish colonization must have brought in so much cultural influence reflected on how people think to this day ,in particular the judgement of physical beauty ,added with few decades american occupation ,plus the ' hollywood ' thing ,strong media influence , will never be the same for every fili. In evidence , look at the beauty contest ,the majority of filipino celebs,only a handful represent the native pinoy looks,guess what , like pacquiao of real ' nitobo' (native) looks .Had it not been for his poweful punches ,he will never be known or exhaulted to stardom. Whilst mestisos are regarded good looking,bit of long nose that's it, the more whitier the prettier. It's regarded ego boosting or a pride or honour to be affiliated or related to hispanic trace or american /european/chinese trace. Then you can hear many filis claiming to have spanish blood e'or ,even to some you wonder their looks don't have any single trace of anything european ,perhaps even alien blood (from outer space ) might be considered if convincng ,lols.
    Only speaking of a few my relatives who's having obsession of 'spanish trace' ,and don't account it with such pride to claim as pure blooded filipino.

I am so amazed in the Philippines there's a large market for skin whitening bleaches ,with variant cocktails of chemicals that turns skin white ,scary.You never see that in shops in uk ,but go to lee plaza for instance whew , loads of them on shelves.What you see of people and around the philippines are just the cultural by products from the long confusing past.

4. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    make your nice post short it would start with a the word that start with a B and end with a t.

What you see is that everybody likes the exotic... in Euope its the asian, african, even east european type. In the philippines its the western type..

and if a longnose goes to the philippines it means they have money... and that goes back centuries and will never change...
    and money makes sexy.... thats all.
    sure everybody thinks they are something different, but look at the history thousands of years back untill now it was always this and it will be like this ...

It has completely nothing to do with any psycho things and weird statements... in our diveshop the guys look at 40+ out of shape blond woman with boobs, and say wow they are sexy... Hell no they are not, ... but for them they are Exotic, something different ...and they have boobs, even without bra... and they can afford travelling here... yeah, they are sexy for them....

Rhoody

5. Timn8ter

Timn8ter DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    People with dark skin want to be lighter, people with light skin want to be darker, people with curly hair want straight hair, people with straight hair want it to be curly, etc., etc., ad nauseum.

The grass is always greener on the other side.

6. progmeister

progmeister DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I couldn't have put it any better Timn8ter :smile:

7. chrissar

chrissar DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    WELL SAID, TIMN8TER..... That's exactly the reason why some people try hard to be what they are not physically. Maybe for a change????? And Progmeister is right as well....

8. kristine1901

kristine1901 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    not all filipina or pinoy likes to have a white skin... while most of my friends and dormates wayback in university days like to put some lotion or visit the dermatologists, always carry with them umbrella afraid to have darker skin, thanks God i am always proud of my brown skin and never tried on it..until i am here in Europe now....people appreciate so much my complexion..i dnt need to stay long hours under the heat of the sun just to have a tan skin...i am proud to say its natural and im pinay....

9. Cyndi

Cyndi DI Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Well said, Tim! It does amuse me how so much money is WASTED trying to be and look like someone else. It did annoy me in the PHL how many products were made promising to WHITEN skin and how many of my filipina friends bought into that garbage. I teased them that I was trying to get darker while they were trying to get lighter. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and EVERYONE is certainly beautiful in the eyes of the Creator!

It was interesting to me when my VERY dark skinned Bangladish friend was chosing his future bride from a bunch of photos that his mother mailed to him. He clearly made comments AGAINST the darkness of some of the women and picked the least darkest one. I guess he did feel that he had money now and was an American citizen and had a right to pick the woman that would best suite his present status. Too funny!

I also knew a mixed couple living in Kuwait. She was Lebanese (fair skinned) and he was Pakistani (much darker). Their little 5 yr old boy (looked like his mom) came home from daycare (foreign children from all diff countries were represented) and announced to his father that he was "Dark and ugly and that he didn't want to be dark like his father". It amazed me that at that age he had already picked up on the prejudices of the world!

10. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    How about Michel Jackson!

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.