Dumaguete Info Search

Equalizing pressure problem

Discussion in '☋ Diving and Marine Life ☋' started by SurfinUSA, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SurfinUSA

SurfinUSA DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I seem to be only able to eqaulize pressure if I'm in a head-up position. Which is really a pia when you're snorkeling etc.

Any advice how to equalize pressure while in a diving/head down position?

2. Marky

Marky DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Squeeze your nostrils shut through your face mask and blow until your hearing works again. The best way to do it is to stay ahead of clearing, like pre-clear before you really need to, like on the surface and stay ahead of it as you descend.

3. Bandit

Bandit Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the same problem, and squeezing my nose etc does not clear my ears in a head down descent..

4. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    I've found a 1/4 tab of Sudafed works wonders....

5. Dave

Dave DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the same problem the only solution I know of is to keep my head up somewhat and clear often. As Mark said do so before you encounter inner ear pain.

From PADI,
    Most divers use the Valsalva maneuver to equalize. This maneuver involves blowing gently against a pinched nose. Another similar method is the Frenzel maneuver. This technique involves pinching the nose and swallowing.
    Tips to help your equalizing techniques:

1. Equalize immediately upon descent and continue to equalize often.

2. Don't wait until you feel discomfort or pain before equalizing.

3. If difficulty occurs in equalizing, ascend a few feet and try again. If you still can't equalize after a few attempts, do not continue the dive.

4. Try to control your descent and maintain a feet down position.

5. Do not blow forcefully while doing a Valsalva maneuver. You could rupture your eardrum.

During the second world war dive bomber pilots learned to jut their jaw forward duing steep dives. This kept the Eustachian tubes open. I have had mixed results with this. However some of my dive partners swear by it perhaps it could work for you too.

6. Chuck the Canuck

Chuck the Canuck DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A good many divers do experience what you have described. I can sympathise with you in not really being able to maintain a heads up on a snorkling decent. I always take a deconjestant about 2 hours before scuba diving. You might also find the problem worse if you haven't dived for awhile. As a friend said, your sinuses can be like rusty hinges after awhile. Once you get back into a frequent dive routine they get alot better at adjusting.

7. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Fully correct. Although not everybody will experience the same result after many dives.
    Several of my dive buddies with some even more dives than me still have regularly problems with clearing their ears.
    After my first 4 years of diving I did not have to force clearing (hand pressing nose) and can go down even fast while clearing by moving my jaws.
    I only have to "force" when i did catch a cold. The one sinus is not the other, but training helps. Nice comparison Chuck with the rusty hinges. I keep that in mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.