Dumaguete Info Search

Ethnicity

Discussion in '☋ Dining - Nightlife - Entertainment ☋' started by Blue, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue

Blue DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I never provide any solutions i am always picking someones brains. This is no exception. I was wondering if an African, black African that is, would be comfortable living in Dumaguete as far as acceptance is concerned. I know that one time the population of Negros was predominantly very dark skinned hence the name, but that doesn't seem to be the case now at least not around the areas like Dumaguete. are there any black Americans living there, if so and you read this i would like ot get some feed back from you about it, Philippino's don't seem to be racist, i guess most of them are too busy surviving. Anyhow what does everyone think. Take care

2. Dave

Dave DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A man from a country located in Africa is very much different than an American man who is of African decent.
    I made friends with a Black American man in Philippines last year. We spent three days at the same small resort and became friends. He was treated the same as any other American as far as I could see. The kids called him “hey Joe”. I noticed he go a lot of attention from the local gals. He was treated well because he was a nice guy who had money just like the rest of us Kano's. It had nothing to do with skin color.
    IMO Filipino people are not racist. A Filipino will always put family, clan, religion, and other Filipinos first.

3. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    During my time in SU,there were students coming from nigeria,ghana,kenya and middle eastern students ,they get on well with local population.I knew that coz few of them lived near my aunt in Daro.Infact few of them have filipina gf's too .Locals do accept and welcome foreigners regardless of skin colour.

4. Chuck the Canuck

Chuck the Canuck DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As long as they don't eat us for dinner, we get along fine :>)

5. Anizah Villarosa Fong

Anizah Villarosa Fong DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dont think racism is an issue unless you are worried about it! So dont worry, migrate and enjoy the life that the Philippines brings!

6. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    There is a different kind of Racism in Asia, and Asia is very Racially divided with specific hierarchies. Speaking now of only asians without anglo/euro/ afros in the equasion. goes someting like this with room for interpretation based on which Asian group you might be a member, or where you live.
    Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Malay peoples, including then the Philippines. Might be better descibed as cultural bias, as technically Asians by popular definintion are one General race. Still, skin tone is a component.
    This might be of value when visiting or living here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.