Dumaguete Info Search

ex-pat insurance

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by california-jac, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. california-jac

california-jac DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ok heres one for you folks. i will be joining your beautiful country very soon and have found out my medical insurance will be invalid in pi. is there any good rated companies you can suggest? and i cant wait for roodys answer! seriously would like your input. thanks.:rolleyes:

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    you asked for it...
    I do all the surgeries by myself, last week I implanted 2 tubes to bypass my liver but I also could replace it with a sponge. I use a Velcro for easy replacement after a hard night out...

ok, serious. I am with Generali, but can't say if they are any good. I didn't need any service of them up to now.

There was a thread about that topic quite a while ago, just have a look:
    http://www.dumagueteinfo.com/board/expat-section/choise-health-insurance-1823.html

I hope it helps a bit already

cheers

Rhoody

3. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    I know that Pacific Prime offers International Health insurance for expats depending on your country of residence but I do not have a policy with them nor know what the premiums would be. Perhaps someone on this forum has experience with them and will share that information with us.

4. KAYLEIGH

KAYLEIGH DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In my own opinion. I think better you just keep/save your money for the future medical expenses, I'm a filipino, but still I don't trust any insurance companies back home. It will take time also to do the processing for any medical refund purposes & alot of paper works.

5. bikerdave

bikerdave DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    I agree EXACTLY!!!!! When you go to any Hospital here in Dumaguete insurance or not,they want cash before any operation is done or the next day after admitting it's up to you to collect from your insurance company. Best advice if you get really sick here and haven't got the cash,FLY HOME FAST the hospitals will have no sympathy for you here. If I didnt have good friends and family I would be long gone. BTW same with funeral homes they let you sit on a concrete slab until claimed:mad:

6. Panday Pera

Panday Pera DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    You will be better of if Roody did your surgery, to tell you the truth. But kidding aside; by the way..are you still alive... I'm just afraid that the previous posts scared the crap out of you already. Dang, am I too late?

It is true, CASH is king in the Philippines. If you are hospitalized you have to pay your bill when you come in and then daily, therafter. Somebody will go to your room to collect or you or one of your relatives has to go pay the cashier, everyday. If you don't they can keep you hostage in the hospital until you pay and the meter keeps going, and that is not against the law.

If your relatives or friends here in the Phil knows a doctor they trust, you can ask them to get the information from their doctor. Find out which insurance company he is most comfortable working with. That way there are no surprises. Worst case scenario is your at the door of the hospital and the doctor say sorry but we don't accept that insurance, then you're screwed.

If you have a lot of medical problems make sure you bring enough medicine with you and that your doctor write down the generic names of the medicines you're using. The names of medicines in the Philippines are completely different.

If you have a heart problem, bring your own "Defibrillator" :wink: , there are no such thing as ambulance service in the Phil., the way you know them in the US or Europe. The ambulance is just a Van with a cot (gurney) inside, to transport you from point A to point B. No medications, no defibrilators, etc., and with the traffic as bad in some areas, good luck getting to the hospital in time.

Other than that, "Welcome to Paradise" :rolleyes:

7. bikerdave

bikerdave DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    Go to the business office in any hospital in dumaguete and ask them which insurance card they accept with no cash down. I bet they dont have any answer and if they do get it in writing with a validity date!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.