Dumaguete Info Search

Exit Clearance Exit Clearance warning

Discussion in 'Passports and Visas' started by johncarson, May 10, 2014.

1. johncarson

johncarson DI Member Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +252 / 19
    I picked up on a thread on another form concerning Exit Clearances (ECC) for those of us on tourist visas who have been in the country longer than 6 months. I understood from comments there and from the Dumaguete BI that the clearances now must be obtained in person at BI in either Cebu or Manila. Reports seemed to indicate this was a fairly simple and fast process. What I failed to pick up on was the requirement that the ECC must be processed at least 72 hours prior to leaving the Philippines – my oversight, and nearly a costly one. I’m flying out of Manila later this month, and even though I was arriving there on the morning flight and not flying out until evening, I didn’t want to risk not having enough time to get the clearance, so I booked my flight to Manila a day ahead. It was only after doing that and booking a hotel room for the night that I realized that 24 to 30 hours would not be sufficient to get my clearance. I won’t comment on my opinion of this requirement, but I wanted to put the word out in case others make the same mistake, thinking that an extra day or so in Manila or Cebu would be sufficient to obtain the ECC.

2. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Yup. I just found this out also. Beginning of this year the rules changed yet again. We can no longer have a reputable travel agency do the exit clearance and must do it person days before our departure. The Dumaguete office still says they *think* if you showed up early in the morning in Cebu/Manila at Immigration and your flight was evening+ you'd be fine but really sounds like they don't know. I'd stick with the 72 hour thing myself.

3. OP
    OP
    johncarson

johncarson DI Member Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +252 / 19
    Charlie, don't even consider the same day thing. The regulation states "2 to 3 days prior to flight". I was just at Immigration in Cebu. The paperwork took less than an hour, but that doesn't mean I could leave the country before 72 hours later. Don't try it in Manila. BI at Dumaguete and Cebu told me you now need to appear in Manila one week before departure. Also note the BI in Cebu has moved to Robinson Mall - not sure of the address.

4. alex

alex DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

EXPERT BOLA BOLA
    Ratings:
    +1,296 / 1,129
    I was told by DI here same day was ok so I took risk and went early morning on the day of our flight (6th February)I got it in 1 hour

I must have been lucky and that's unusual for me
    cheers