Dumaguete Info Search

Suggestion Expat Resource Articles

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Rye83, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm thinking about opening an "Expat Hand Guide" type page on the forum (and on the main site). This page would include a list of "must-know" and "how-to" type of articles that would help people prepare for a move to Dumaguete or even just the Philippines. Need some ideas for article subjects ideas. A few examples that I can think of off the top of my head:

• Finding a rental property
    • Sending and receiving money (Banking)
    • Visa requirements/renewal information
    • Finding a significant other
    • Utility, food and other general costs of living
    • Nightlife
    • Public transportation
    • Parks and recreation/outdoor activities
    • Owning land
    • Starting a business

Any additional things you have had problems with since you have moved here that you wish knew before you made the move. The topics can be as broad as they need to be. I'd really appreciate some input from members on what they wish they had known before they made a move. These articles can also be catered to tourists as well.

Note: Yes, most of this information can be found somewhere on the forum already. These articles (that I will write myself....or maybe member submitted articles) will be general information and will have a ton of links to the existing conversations on the forum.

• Like Like x 2
    • Genius Genius x 2
  2. Best Answer:
    Post #31 by alex, Feb 25, 2016 (4 points)
  3. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Like another poster said:
    Where to Find: A reliable helper (Cleaning & Laundry)

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Local names / brands of common OTC meds.

How to eat and drink here without getting the shits (if this is even possible.)

First X days setup guide. Things you will probably need and where to get them. This could be things like picking up drinking water. Renting a motorcycle. Locating the visa renewal location. I suppose this would be a combo of many other things, but it could be sort of like a checklist format.

Maybe some of these are general for the Philippines though.

You could also create a page with a nice printable format which would be sort of like a Dumaguete cheat sheet. This could include important numbers and other things which would be useful to have in your pocket.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Locations, maps, directions and pedi-cab fare for getting to the most likely needed to get to spots for an expat's first week here. This could include major shopping areas, utilities, immigration and whatever else. For directions and fare, I would use the market as the starting point.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Recommended service providers. Lawyers, dentists, computer repair, hookers, etc.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It's been quite some time since I've had a helper but I should be able to write something up on finding (and keeping) a helper.

8. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    5 years in Dumaguete and I haven't figured this one out yet.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    Doc C writes....you ain't ever gonna avoid getting Rizal's Revenge here in the Phils. It's what you do about it and using some common sense principles to minimise the risk of developing gastric-intestinal mayhem that counts. Stay hydrated, avoid dodgy looking fish and vendors, buy a cork for emergency plugging (not really recommended), stay out of the sun etc etc. Abandon all hope of ever avoiding the Aquino Two-Step.

Other than, good idea in development for the forum...looking forward to seeing and reading this. I learn something new everyday here.

10. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Huh? :hmmm:
    Hopefully I can write something that can be helpful to others....maybe with enough tanduay I can come up with something at least entertaining. :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. daanlungsod

daanlungsod DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +83 / 11
    For prescription meds one can join MIMS which lists available drugs by country. HTH

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1