Dumaguete Info Search

expats in bike accident

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by alex, Dec 15, 2015.

1. alex

alex DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

EXPERT BOLA BOLA
    Ratings:
    +1,296 / 1,129
    2 expats involved when their motor bikes collided at brgy junob carn't show the pic as their is body,s displayed, one bike is a yamaha plate 7604yy other scooter zuzuki plate 9996xw looks real bad. hope they are ok

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I hope one of them was not the guy I saw leaving Flip Flops earlier drunk as a skunk on a black Honda Wave. I told him I would pay for a trike to get up to Valencia but he insisted he was fine to drive (though he was very obviously not ok to drive).

3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    :mad: Just saw the picture on FB. Sure enough, same guy.

4. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    If anyone knows the other foreigner involved in the accident I can go to the police station to leave a statement on what I saw and the conversation I had with the guy in the black tank top if that would help any. Just shoot me a PM here and I'll provide my contact information.

5. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    I see there is a blue ybr Yamaha involved in this accident,I know someone in Valencia who has one of these,I hope it's not who I think it is!
    One foreigner looks in a pretty bad way with a very bad head wound. Let's hope everyone is ok.

6. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm told both involved in the accident have passed away. I don't recognize the YBR at all.

Guys, wear your freakin' helmets. You never know when some drunk is going to cross into your lane and hit you head on. I suspect both riders would have minimal/non-life threatening injuries if they had been wearing their helmets.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Black wave, American? He looks somewhat familiar.

Looks dead in the picture.

That's such an upsetting image.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm told his name was Freddy. Seemed like a nice enough guy even when drunk, just refused to give up his keys (and I didn't want to resort to violence to get them.....though in hindsight I probably should have).

• Like Like x 3
  9. Frodo

Frodo DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +137 / 0
    I saw the photos of this accident on the Dumaguete FB page. The photos are very graphic, but necessary (I believe) to generate a good discussion about wearing helmets.

I agree with Wrye! Wear a helmet! In fact, wear a full-face helmet! If you can afford a Spyder full-face helmet then get one -- and wear it. Many other helmets here might meet local safety standards, but I do not believe they are of the same quality as, say, Bell helmuts in America, so don't be fooled.

In addition, I recommend jeans, gloves (readily available diving gloves work good), and over-the-ankle boots. If you can stand the heat, wear a motocross jacket.

Riding around here often feels like the same level of hazard as riding on a motocross track -- actually worse in some ways because on a motocross track you land on dirt when you crash -- here you land on concrete.

Early this month some idiot on a 125cc made a sudden U-Turn on National Highway (near Tanjay) directly in front of my friend -- because the idiot lost his d*mn ball cap (wind blew it off) & he attempted a U-Turn to go back to get it. WHAM!!! Everyone ended up in the hospital. My friend's (non-Spyder) full-face helmet likely saved his life, but it also broke apart on impact and he sustained moderate facial injuries. The idiot old man on the other bike, and his daughter, and his grandson, were catapulted onto the highway -- they lived even though they were not wearing helmets.

A week later both drivers met at the PNP station where the idiot old man (who had no license & no registration) admitted fault & paid what he could afford, which was P15,000 -- that was only a fraction of the cost to my friend in motorbike damage & medical bills. So even if someone else causes the accident you may end up with a big financial loss.

Bottom Line: Some accidents cannot be avoided even with a high level of vigilance so expect the unexpected and dress properly!

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    :wideyed: First I have ever heard of that happening.

• Agree Agree x 1