Dumaguete Info Search

Expats (or anyone) asking for money?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by robert k, Sep 20, 2016.

1. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Why is it that people think you are good enough to ask for money, but if you refuse to give them money you are low class?

Even complete strangers who have not been engaged in the forum and who have not been here to offer advise or share information? They will still ask for money and you are a bad person if you don't give money to a complete stranger. I'd like to hear some other peoples thoughts on this?

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Just a scam artist trying to scam their way into your wallet. Pretty pathetic tactic IMO but I appreciate those who do it...it lets me know that I should never trust that person or the long-nose clown posse that agrees/hangs out with them. Don't hate on me because I came here with enough money to support myself and my goals, I didn't build up a savings by giving away more than I could afford to lose. If someone can't respect or appreciate that then I know they aren't someone that should be trusted to pay me back.

What's screwed up is that Filipinos have been much better at paying me back than long noses have. Most of the locals that have asked to borrow from me have paid me back on time or within a reasonable amount of time....less than 10% of foreigners pay back on time - if ever. What's really f*cking ridiculous is that the long noses think that all loans should be interest free and get insulted when asked for it. I won't help a foreigner out these days unless they are willing to sign over a car/motorcycle to my name valued double what they are asking for. For lower amounts I'll take a smart phone as collateral and if you don't repay I'll take the phone and use it to give your girl a call (trust me, your girl knows you're a loser and won't hesitate to jump that sinking ship).

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    Neither a borrower or lender be...

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    My one and only answer they asked me to borrow is the following advice: go to the bank, it's one of their specialization.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. knobhead

knobhead The Knobster Infamous

Retired Knobhead Engineer
    Ratings:
    +268 / 23
    I'm at a loss on this one as to why it happens. I do agree with wrye that the motive is almost always a scam. The post I read the other day really set me back at how fast the insults and vitriol started when no one agreed to use their precious resources to fund a ideal that they did not share. I find the logic that a person can bully and insult their way into the pockets of experienced adults like our selves to be absurd and childish.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I thought this thread was about people asking to borrow money, not about the citizenship lawsuit thread. I guess I should have paid a bit more attention. If the purpose was to carry on with a conversation in a locked thread, bad form. If it was a separate topic independent of that thread, stop going off topic. OP should clarify his intentions. Going to clean up this thread when i get a chance to get on a computer.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

7. Cletus

Cletus DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +357 / 107
    Many people have an entitlement mentality, often taught by our educational system and even cartoons are teaching this. They think they are entitled to the wealth that you have, no matter how small it may be. Words have meaning and when the meaning of words is changed to reflect a different set of ethics for those using those words. For example, Im in the states right now taking care of some business and saw on the news a university protest over something and in the video there was a guy, a student I presumed, that had a sign that read, Quote: Hoarding wealth is murder. Unquote. I began thinking about this sign and its real meaning and the intended meaning from this sign holder. What he is calling hoarding wealth used to be called savings. I recall when I was his age having come back from Vietnam and getting married and saving money to buy our first washing machine. That would be considered hoarding wealth I suppose. To equate that savings is the same as hoarding is absurd but so are many other meanings of words being used today. Then to make the leap that a hoarder/saver is the same as murder? Im sure that in his mind anyone that saves money is a murderer and he is entitled to their money because they are worthy of death, being a murderer.
    If this is an example of the values that are being taught today then we are all in trouble. Those that ask for money believe those that are giving the money to be FOOLS and they are simply getting what is theirs that the hoarders/savers have taken from them.
    The other problem is that these same people vote and they vote for the candidate that says they will give them the most money and the evil rich people will pay for it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1