Dumaguete Info Search

Health & Wellness Experience at Silliman Hospital

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by doromaner, Mar 12, 2012.

1. doromaner

doromaner DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What is the emergency care like at Silliman Hospital?

2. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Depends on whether you are conscious when you get there. If you are awake then you can prove to them that you have the necessary funds. If you are in a coma then you are in a very dodgy situation unless someone you know goes there with you and can prove that you can afford to have your life saved !!! If you need blood then your condition will deteriorate towards death until the horse trading to buy the blood has been completed and everyone knows what their cut of the profits are. Then you might get some attention.

Sound a bit dramatic ?? No, it's fact, and the appalling and mercenary attitude of cash before care was witnessed by some of us at the end of last year when we lost a good friend and the community lost a great guy.

3. OP
    OP
    doromaner

doromaner DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Broadside, I am sorry about your friend. If you have the money are the doctors competent or do most expats try to go to Cebu?

4. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    If it is nothing serious, you are probably ok. For anything mildly serious, Silliman fast becomes a place to get stabilized and get the hell to Cebu or Manila.

Larry

5. OP
    OP
    doromaner

doromaner DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How do they transfer you from Duma to Cebu if you are really sick?

6. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    By your own means, of course. Pedicab, boat, and bus being the most frequently used.

Larry

7. newbie27

newbie27 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    You can also hire private 4 seater plane in case of emergency and you needed a few minutes ride to reach Cebu. I think that's the best option.

8. OP
    OP
    doromaner

doromaner DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Newbie,
    I have never seen many care flight type helicopters going in between hospitals like we do here in the US. So I just wanted to know how it worked. I am sure there are times that even Silliman would recommend going to Cebu. Not different than in the US. Get stabilized then get to a bigger city.

David

9. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    A guy I know drank Tequila until he stopped breathing and his heart stopped 12 times, while I did cpr. The last time after the ambulance ride, he tried to drop dead again on the bed in Silliman emergency room. The staff just stood there while I had to revive him again there. Luckly he survived.
    Ron

10. OP
    OP
    doromaner

doromaner DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It seems strange how when Filipinos go abroad they are considered such excellent caregivers, but in their own county they just don't seem to care. Doesn't anybody have anything good to say about the best hospital in town???? I thought there might be some good stories....but I guess not, pretty scary to live in a place with such poor care. Maybe it is better to live closer to Cebu?

David