Dumaguete Info Search

Face to Face School in January

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by PatO, Jul 22, 2020.

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Duterte said face to face school will be allowed in January in low risk areas. Aug. 24 online or some other type schooling will start up.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,591 / 2,888
    I am wondering if some children, those with parents who made the effort to plug the gap in their 'education loss' over the last few months, will prefer to stay home-schooled. Usually that would mean: Air-con not stuffy hot classroom, one-to-one attention (depending on number of children in the family), intelligent teachers, half a day being tutored and half a day doing a wide range of different activities.

But, kids being kids, perhaps the social aspect of attending school will to be too much to miss (even though they are in touch via social media almost 24/7!).

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    My son's school started home teaching by weekly modules four weeks ago. The kids and teachers spend best part of two days at the start of the week on video conference discussing the work and then they are left to complete the modules at their own pace. Now that we are in the swing of it it's going pretty well. Took some time for the teachers, son and me to get our heads around some of it and to start it was heavy going, but the size of the modules has been reduced by order of DEPED. The modules are DEPED approved and once classroom teaching recommences, we can choose to send him to school or continue with the home learning. Pros and cons with both of those, but maybe if the social side of things is sorted by then (e.g. he can start playing football again), then no need to go to a school for that.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Always a Poppy

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    Just to add that if anyone has a school age kid and is tempted to go down the home schooling route, with DEPED approved modules available, no problem if you would like to come and have a look at example module and what's involved. Just let me know.

• Like Like x 3
  5. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    We (my priceless family) found a silver lining with school shutdown - my boy’s new interests. Basketball (instead of soccer) so we put up a basket on a tree, fish so we got an aquarium and fish, and plants and planting (none of these were his hobbies or interests before). He has 7 boy cousins to play with so doesn’t miss school but wants face to face when it finally (and hopefully safely) starts back up).
    Have others found silver linings during the shut down.

• Like Like x 4
  6. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Less traffic, shorter lines.

7. Always a Poppy

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    No school run....longer lie-in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,591 / 2,888
    Less arguing on the Forum. :smile:

9. Mark K

Mark K DI Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 106
    Private schools in some regions (including region 7 where we are) can open subject to social distancing measures put in place blah blah blah.

One International School (subject to a DepEd inspection which they are confident they will pass) is planning to open as normal with a full curriculum on September 1st. They are able to do this because of the small class sizes and large areas of open space. I'm not aware of any other schools in the area that will open at this time. I suspect they have too many students to be able to adhere to the social distancing requirements.

10. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    I am hoping Don Bosco opens up on a limited class size for elementary grades. So far no news on this.