Dumaguete Info Search

Review Facebook Users

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Nutz2U2, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Nutz2U2

Nutz2U2 DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +269 / 29
    [​IMG]
    A Facebook User? Double-Check Your Privacy Settings!
    Added: Thursday, October 29th, 2015
    Category: Staying Safe And Secure
    Tags: Network, Hackers, Internet, 2015

The company has been encouraging users to check their privacy settings after Facebook introduced an update to its search feature. The problem is that the latter adds almost 2 trillion older posts by its users to the search index. Before, this search feature was mainly limited to groups, events and locations, while the public posts were almost impossible to find without directly navigating to the particular user’s profile page.

[​IMG]

However, now Facebook has indexed over 2 trillion posts, and its search function enables users to seek out a specific post from any public profile, regardless of whether the two are friends on the social network. Unfortunately, the new feature has led to concern that publications that many users would prefer to stay hidden will be revealed to everyone. Facebook explained that the search results are personalized and unique to each user and, as always, they can only see things that have been shared with them. Likewise, you are able to control who can see your posts on the service and it’s easy to change the audience of your past posts any time.

Since Facebook is 11 years old, some users have more than a decade of past posts indexed on the service. So, there is a chance they may not remember which posts were made with which privacy settings. As a result, this could lead to some uncomfortable posts resurfacing.

The decision to index older user posts is part of a Facebook’s attempt to compete with main rival Twitter on live events – this is something where Twitter’s broad search and chronological focus has given it the edge.

Recent changes, including Facebook’s “trending” bar, have let users search the service for current events, but until now, it was difficult to find and take part in the public conversation around what was going on out there.

Posted by:
    SaM

Date: Thursday, October 29th, 2015

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Easy, just Don't use FB for anything you want to stay Private and Personal :thumbsup: It's the Biggest Cruelest Chinese Whisperer I have ever Known :wideyed: FBI, GCHQ and many others can use it Against You :shifty:

Jack :pompus:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Good advice....but if you used it in the past and don't check your privacy settings somethings you made private in the past will now be public......at least that's my understanding.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Use the following link for steps on how to view your Facebook profile as another user.

5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    TheDude
    :facepalm: I guess there is something missing here Sir? Like the Link:whistling:

6. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
  7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The link is there, it's just not rendering for some reason.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    That post was written in "invisible link" :roflmao:

I think I found a bug, or something.

That link has old instructions anyways. Updated.

Click on the "lock" icon in the upper right, which is the privacy icon.

On the dropdown, select "who can see my stuff."

Which then drops down to...

What do other people see on my timeline - view as.

Select the group or whatever. Investigate all the options.