Dumaguete Info Search

Facebook

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by Kojak, Apr 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kojak

Kojak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 2
    I freely admit I know little about the internet or it's dangers..... Possibly Rhoody can contribute on this subject....

I learned the other day...from Rhoody that globe rotates my IP address.... some days when I get a good IP address ....there are no problems...but if I get a bad IP.....I can not get DI....or sometimes Yahoo.... Will turning my modem off and on possibly get me a new IP ?

I also heard that having a facebook account can sometimes cause you to be labeled by some spam filters as a "spammer" because you are in contact with to many people.....

Is there any advice on how to manage a facebook account to avoid this possibility.... my wife and sister-in-laws LIVE for Facebook....especially my sister-in-law who connects with every scumbag in the world .... this can not be good

2. newbie27

newbie27 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Dont worry FB is a clean website.Facebook got nothing to do with the "spam", its in your personal computer or laptop from the malwares or virus you accidentally download something or you let it borrow to somebody, and that somebody open a site which is not safe or an email containing a virus/malware. Opening a facebook, the facebook security program will detect something if you do something bad inside.You will be labeled as " spammer" on facebook once the site will detect that your emailing or sending a lot of message to everyone inside the facebook community in 1 minute or less , you will receive a warning notice form facebook. In my case, I used a "deepfreeze" program so that somebody borrow my computer a simple restart will clear everything.

About the ordinary IP address you are using or provided by your internet provider, the local internet provider said we have different ip address for every subscriber. In my own opinion, I'm confuse, because it happens a lot of times way back that when you log in to a certain online games or chat rooms, you cant get in coz your IP is banned. How could this be, when you just got online and it says you're on multiple online. So, i guess we are on shared IP which is very unfair coz were paying for our personal IP. I cannot prove it though, but it always happens to a certain internet provider and because of that i subscribe two different internet provider to let me get in on that online game or chatroom whenever i have a problem. Anyways, by calling a couple of times to their customer service of that internet provider, on the next day or few hours, I'm no longer banned on that certain online site/games. Weird!

3. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    your facebook statement is not true, you get plenty of trojans on facebook which will not only crawl your FB account but infect your station at home. Quite some of them are approved Aps on Facebook.

just the last couple of days was a new version of "see who looked at your profile" around and it took days until FB could make something against it. Another one is when a friend in your FB chatbox popps up with something like "rhoody check this out @ x.co/WkBs?6318816"

Same with many messengers, the most famous was probably the "IQ-test" where a friend pops up and asks you to take the test.

What can somebody do against it ? well, when it comes to local ladies, don't allow them using a computer online. They simply click on each and everything and wonder why their station is full of rubbish and not working proper.

As for local Internet Service Provider, globelines is sharing 1 IP with thousands of clients. With a private line you can not get a dedicated IP address. they are only available for business contracts.

One way around that IP-blocking is logging in via a free proxy-server.

4. OP
    OP
    Kojak

Kojak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 2
    Like I said.....not a computer expert.....but I was told by a "computer expert" (?) that having an IP that sends out millions of messages..... such as when my Facebook account contacts all the members on my account.... it makes a profile that makes me look like a spammer

???

5. OP
    OP
    Kojak

Kojak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 2
    Thanks Rhoody.....I run a Panda anti-virus.... but question these "free" anti-viruses..... Is there anything that can provide complete security.... get malware and worm viruses

Are there indications you can look for that will tip you off that you have a problem???

6. OP
    OP
    Kojak

Kojak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 2
    How do you do that

7. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    If you use your facebook account in a normal way, meaning communication with friends, sharing pictures, you will have no problem at all.

Avoid clicking on strange links, even send to you by your best mate on facebook or Yahoo or wherever.

You basically can't do a lot as a private globe-user when your IP is blacklisted on several internet spam lists (and many globe IP's are).

8. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    you can "google" for free proxy server. there are thousands around.

here are some lists Proxy 4 Free - Public Proxy Servers, Anonymous Proxy, Proxy List - Protect Your Online Privacy!

after choosing a server, you will see something like a search box on that proxy - site. type in your regular URL (example: www. dumagueteinfo. com)
    your site will load a bit slower, and you will have a banner on top of your screen, but you should have access to almost everything.

Speaking of Anti-virus, well, I don't like the free stuff, even they update their virus-database regularly the updates are always delayed to most paid ones. Also make sure your Anti Virus updates automatically.

What you can do, specially if any kind of female gender is allowed to use your main-station is having a regular complete system-check. That might take a few hours and is best done overnight. If your antivirus finds issues, it will try to remove them, If it can't remove stuff you better get a good technician.

9. Tom2bad68

Tom2bad68 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Rhoody has some good suggestions. For free AV I suggest the microsoft security essentials program. It is a free download from M$ and seems to work pretty well. I rarely ever have problems myself no matter which AV I use but the Misses is a different story. She has picked up several attempts to infect her computer while using facebook and her yahoo mail.

She has gotten much better at dealing with it though. Now, the minute something funny pops up she calls me and I deal with it. Since installing security essentials she has only had a couple of warnings pop up and it prevented the threat for getting installed and active.

And if you do get something you can use either malwarebytes or combofix to remove it. Combofix will remove root kits as well. This should work on a mildly infected computer. A really badly infected computer can take a very long tome to clean and in my opinion it is better to backup data format and reload.

In summery prevention is worth several thousand peso of cure :-)

10. OP
    OP
    Kojak

Kojak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 2
    This great.....I have learned a lot.....now I have the impossible task of teaching the women in my house

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.