Dumaguete Info Search

Fact or Fiction

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by Kojak, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kojak

Kojak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 2
    You hear so many stories but you never know what is real or a fairy tale....
    I have heard that a lot of businesses never hire permanent employees. They employ "temps" for 6 months....fire them....then rehire them as "temps" again....Reportedly this is to avoid having them become full time employees entitled to Social Security and other expenses for the employer.....
    I have also heard that while there is a minimum wage law in the Philippines.... it does not apply to "temps'..... or at least very few "temps" get minimum wage

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    they don't get fired, their 6 month (or shorter) contract runs out. and yes, employers get around additional payment and duties

3. OP
    OP
    Kojak

Kojak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 2
    Contract ?..... so they sign a contract..... and when they complete the contract.....they sign another contract..... is this not merely a way for employers to avoid having permanent employees and avoid the additional expenses that would entail???

4. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    there is a bit more to it, but basically yes

5. OP
    OP
    Kojak

Kojak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 2
    I do not know about anyone else..... but I would like to know the "bit more"
    I sounds grossly unfair.... am I wrong

6. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    Kojak, just had this convo with a group of guys over coffee at Robinsons today. Were you part of the group???

Mark

7. OP
    OP
    Kojak

Kojak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 2
    Not today...... it has been a frequent topic in other conversations & forums...... I know that some of you have been in business here....or are familiar with business practices here....I want to learn and understand.... not only might I start a business but I only hear the negative "stories".....I want both sides....

EXAMPLE Supposedly a down town store has a serious rat problem....the owner supposedly does nothing about the rats except deduct rat damage from employee salaries.... which are already below minimum wage....

EXAMPLE A well known eatery put a waitress to work for a week.... then fired her and did not pay her for the time she worked.....or maybe her supervisor kept the money....??

8. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Well, nobody ever said life is fair.

So here a example of a diveshop in Siquijor:

a freelancing divemaster with maybe 2 days of diving at that per week in high and regular season sued the foreign diveshop owner after 2,5 years that he never got a 13th month payment.

guess who won
    correct, the divemaster as a freelancer who works all over the visayas and was no employee.

cost for the shopowner: 20 K for the divemaster (who never made 10K a month at that shop), plus about 500K (not 50) lawyer, lost business (no businesspermit) and travel and and and costs.

consquence: shopowner got pissed off, closed the shop sold equipment, 2 other employees jobless.

Another local example:

A restaurant owner paid minimum wages (no contracts), staff could keep all tips, got staff meal (for free), uniforms free, payment increase after a year, extra cash on birthdays...

1 staff member started talking to the others about 100% extra (or more) on sunday/public holidays and other things.

Local attitude: they see money and of course follow blind that one person.

They went to the department of labor which caused quite some trouble and cost the business-owner a lot of money.

consequence:

6 month contract
    minimum wage
    tip is hold back, equipment broken by the staff got deducted from the tip, left over tip get paid out twice a year.
    work-uniform 50% paid by employees
    no vaction during contract time,
    and other things

at the end they had about 60% of the money before they followed their leader....

Local employees are very good to bite the hand which feeds them...

9. OP
    OP
    Kojak

Kojak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 2

Thank you.....I knew there had to be a flip side......

"follow the money".... I offered the maid SS and filhealth.....was told, "Never mind ,just give me the money"..... thinking beyond the immediate does not seem to be a common practice

10. SurfinUSA

SurfinUSA DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Lee Plaza employees have told me they work for just under 6 mos, then they are off for a few weeks, then hired again if they were good workers..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.