Dumaguete Info Search

Fake News Sites (Philippines/Filipino News)

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by Brian Oinks, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    With so much FAKE NEWS doing the rounds on Social Networks and the Internet, I thought this might prove helpful for some to cross check against and see if the the News they are reading and sharing actually is coming from a legitimate source;

List of fake news websites - Wikipedia

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    "structured to make visitors believe they are visiting trusted sources like ABC News or MSNBC"

Trusted sources ? LOL, that's the funniest thing I have read in a week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The problem seems to be social media, human nature and people not knowing how or wanting to identify what a "fake news" site looks like. People believe what they want to believe and trust things that come from people that share similar views as themselves....and social media platforms along with their algorithms have made it to where the only thing you see are people with similar views.

Also, "fake news" is nothing new. It has been around for centuries.

Why is that? Because they post news you don't like to read? Are you trying to say that Fox "News" is a trusted news source? "Fair and Balanced" is the most tongue in cheek motto that exists in the main stream media today (which they claim to not be a part of but they most certainly are).

4. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Fox News and CNN News should have a televised debate.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    Did I mention Fox News ? Funny , I don't recall saying that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Where do you get your "real" news from then?

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  7. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    I always thought fox news was some cartoon channel :smile:

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    If you need a list to determine what's real and what's fake, then your problems are probably beyond the help of that list.

Fake news which you read and forget (or read for entertainment) is probably less damaging than legit news which you over-react to.

I generally don't chase news except for certain tech news outlets and high quality news-letters. Generally anything important will filter down even through those channels. If the news is something which may impact (or require) decision making, then I'll look for solid analysis. I like well presented, well structured arguments. Even if the content is fake, at least the structure is sound (and probably still worth reading even if I knew it was fake).

Haha, I take it Fox News isn't on Dustin's list. It's Wikipedia, feel free to edit the page as you see fit.

I understand that news takes time to filter to Afghanistan. But your information is outdated.

Fox News Drops ‘Fair and Balanced’ Motto

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    "Most watched, most trusted." Even more ridiculous of a statement than the first motto.

Many "news" programs destroy Fox News' ratings on YouTube alone.
    views2.PNG

Then way further down the list:

views.PNG

Most watched, most trusted.....by old people still getting their news from cable television. (Note saying that some of those on the list should be "trusted" by any means...especially with The Young Turks and Alex Jones.)

I do trust Fox News....I trust them to be extremely biased and slanted towards conservative politics.

Odd that there are so many Filipino based channels on that list. How do so many people even watch those videos with the sh*t internet quality and data caps in the Philippines?

You know that's not how Wikipedia works. Go ahead and try to add Fox to that list and see how long it stays up there (if you even can add it) and how long you have an account on the site. BS information usually gets removed quite quickly on Wikipedia pages, especially the heavily visited ones, due to how heavily moderated it is.

True. Although very little news (at least in the way of politics) will actually impact or require decision making from the average person.

10. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Which is why I don't bother with it much. The important points leak through channels I hit for other info and that's good enough.