Dumaguete Info Search

Farm Pond Construction

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by doromaner, May 3, 2012.

1. doromaner

doromaner DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Has anyone had experience having a small farm pond constructed? I was thinking maybe 50x50x5 feet. I would think with the abundant rainfall it would easily stay full. Also, the pond could be used as a water source in a rural location as long as the water was filtered properly. In an area where a well was not feasible would this be an effective alternative water source?

I read people say that water supply is a problem in some of the more mountainous areas, but can't that problem be solved with a small pond? What am I missing?

2. tunji oluwajuyemi

tunji oluwajuyemi DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    there is such a thing as "the dry season" in all areas in the earths sub tropical zones near the equator even though rain is more likely there...my first time in dumaguete ,i saw no rain from february until may when it raind a few times and then it started raining and stayed in heavy rainy season for over a year and may be going for 2nd year now if you are seeing abundant rain still....The past year is not a good example but a freak of nature where austaralia flooded from so much rain to a hundred year record and then india all the way into thailand flooded from so much rain to a minimum of the 50 year record..england this week hit its hundred year record...actualy you may be in luck if this is the new era of global warming style rain patterns here to stay,but i think because it falls on the hundred year mark for so many victims of the rains,its just a phase that comes every hundred years...There are places in american zoning maps that actually rate flood zones by 100 year and 50 year flood zones etc..based on consistent reoccurance....4 month dry season or possibly longer is common around all tropical countries and the heat of philippines is enough to dry out a pond in short while, while the carabao smell your pond from 10 kilometres away and you wake to find your dry season pond fouled with carabao and other.......why is a well a problem? a fence would help keep pond clear........Can find water tanker truck to bring water by thousands of gallons at a time if you have the budget and i guess its cheap...water tanks also can work out...The area roads are best assesed in rainy season to see if its accessible...Good luck man,every one has taken risk to be in philippines and its up to each to take it to their own limit and make the best of every situation that comes......

3. OP
    OP
    doromaner

doromaner DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would like to have a well, but I understand that up in the hills or mountains the aquifer is not as abundant. Well would be my first choice and pond second on fenced property. I also believe that if the land is up at a little altitude the weather becomes much more like a moist rain forest and that should sustain a big enough pond through the dry season? Rain water collection is third option, but I am not crazy about metal roofs.

4. robgie

robgie DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I built a few ponds in the states, a couple big ones for the land conservation project for the feds local program. The problem I seen mostly here in my area is the lack of clay soil for a liner. I have seen the very good clay soil for a liner near the golf course in Sibulan.
    There are others im sure
    I am going to build a small pond about the size you described in the next year for geese,ducks and fish. I already know its not cost effective for water a source , But its just for pleasure purposes.