Dumaguete Info Search

Utilities & Mobile Faster Internet speed in the Future? Oh Yeah.

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Dave & Imp, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    It has been announced there will be a congressional study to improve the internet speed in the Philippines in the hopes of raising the ranking from 158 out of 190 to a higher ranking like 157. My unborn grandchildren will be happy to use the new improved faster internet speed when they turn into teenagers.

Philippines’ Internet speed lags considerably when compared to its Asian neighbors. South Korea ranked fourth with an average speed of 52.95 mbps, Japan (9th) with 41.18 mbps and China (45th) with 19.04 mbps

Based on the latest Net Index report of Ookla, an Internet broadband testing company, the Philippines ranks 158th out of 190 counties worldwide in terms. I wonder if when the Internet does not work at all what speed they put in to get the average?

http://www.mb.com.ph/solons-back-probe-of-slow-internet-connections

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    You saying that Dave, a friend of mine just moved to Vietnam as got so pissed off here as was trying to make bamboo rocking chairs to send to the u.s, he gave up due to the incompetence of company's promises. He sent me a screenshot of his internet the other day. 50 meg up and down for around $5 month.
    This place needs to get their arse in gear on internet issues along with many others!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Just getting an Internet Connection That works will be nice:eek: 3 times today it was soooooooo sloooooooooow :confused: :(I thought it had actually stopped:mad:

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Until the average Filipino complains you won't see any change. The Philippines has taken the "hurry up and wait" to the extreme.....and they complain not because of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    BTW: when I got back to Afghanistan I was actually relieved to be using the internet here. (of course I pay $400 a month for 1Mb down and .5 up.....well, the american taxpayer reimburses me for it, but either way, it's a ridiculous price).

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Dave & Imp

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    I think the saying goes something like this: "When cows fly"

7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    As my possible last post of the year Dave can I suggest

when "Pigs can Fly Pigs flyng.jpg or when a cow jumps over the Moon! cow jumps.jpg

"HAPPY NEW YEAR" see you all Next year:wink:

JP:smile:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    Dave & Imp

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    You are probably right Jack... I have to admit Imp and I got into the Catnip while doing a little early celebrating and I may have been confused about pigs and cows... In fact I think I saw are neighbor's Pig flying just like the picture the other night right before Christmas.... something about being the guest of honor at the Christmas dinner for the pig.

• Like Like x 1
  9. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    I just recently switched to Globe broadband and it worked pretty well. Good enough that they throttled me. After re-upping for another 50P day of internet, I expected the throttle to stop but apparently it didn't. I say apparently because my neighbor (my landlady) just had Globe out because her internet was not working. What a coincidence? Globe is slow but functional for me right now. While throttled, I was seeing speeds dipping below 5 kb/s and it took 5 tries to log into my e-mail. Before I was throttled, I was seeing speeds approaching first world. I believe they could provide some decent service right now but they would have to pay for the bandwidth so the parking brake is firmly set as you enter the information superhighway.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I think I understand why there are guys that are hacking Globe's modems. When I get back I might look into that. You try to do the right thing and pay what is asked, but then the service you pay for is not provided. Why play by the rules when they won't play by them?

• Agree Agree x 3