Dumaguete Info Search

Feedback

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & User Feedback' started by Rye83, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Instead of just negative feedback on what people don't like, can someone offer some thoughts on what they would like to see?

In the military we have something called an After Action Review.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/After-action_review

I don't consider this just a forum, it's also a community. I try to give the best advise here that I can and I want to help people out. I think, and hope, that most people are here for the same reason. I have no delusions of getting rich off this site, money was not the driving force behind buying it. So please, help me make this a better place that people want to come for information about Dumaguete.

I can take criticism but could you please throw in some solutions to what you don't like. There are thousands of modifications that can be made to the forum and one of them can probably resolve an issue you have. Tell me how I can make it a better place for you and everyone else.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Wrye, it's looking pretty good now as far as I'm concerned, now I've ignored the news bot. I think people who are new to the forum don't want to see news as much as general info on the forum page.
    I know most of the time I only go to new posts unlike new users who will go to the general forum.
    I did try looking at uploading a couple of pics the other day and yup I did read the post about uploading before I tried, as always said a picture says a thousand words and pics are lacking on this site.
    It's still the best site for negros and local areas and chatting to friends!

• Like Like x 3
  3. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Add-Ons that I am looking at:

Featured Posts (allows me to feature posts based off of many different criteria like number of replies/likes/views. Encourages quality content posts):
    https://xenforo.com/community/resources/cta-featured-threads-portal.2599/

Double Rank Banner (improves user info look and gives me ability to promote users based off of different criteria):
    https://xenforo.com/community/resources/double-ribbon-ranks.841/

Portal Page (news feed/weather/featured posts....):
    https://xenforo.com/community/resources/8wayrun-com-xenporta-portal.90/

Widget Framework (news fead/weather/featured posts....):
    https://xenforo.com/community/resources/bd-widget-framework.297/

Online Status Ribbon (see if any given user is online):
    https://xenforo.com/community/resources/rt-online-status-ribbon.1276/

There are thousands of these mods.
    https://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/add-ons.28/?order=download_count

Not saying that the mods above will ever make it on this forum. Just showing a few of the options available.

4. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Rank Banners added. The text is pretty rough (I don't have a good image editor that puts out smooth text). If someone wants to improve on them I have attached the blank banners to this post.

Right now all I have are banners for "Admin", "Members" and "Banned". These are issued out via user group. Right now the only user groups I have in use are "Registered" and "Banned". I am going to add more user groups based off of the post ratings (informative/funny/like will be the three added user groups) and I will make a banner that corresponds to the group. I'll work on that when an idea hits me or someone has a suggestion.

Since no input I'm just going to keep doing my own thing. Next up: Online Status Ribbon (because it looks easy and it's free).

purple.png lime.png black.png red.png orange.png grey.png green.png blue.png

5. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Online Status Ribbon installed.

Hmmm.......Widget Framework.

6. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Widget Framework installed. Installed a weather widget.....no more weatherbot.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Wrye, I think it may be of use if you said exactly what you are looking for in Suggestions. We are a wide cross range of people and many Ex-Military and our Promotions are not always in the same thinking as others, to me Total postings and time served on the DI forum + likes and the other things should be to me be taken into account if you are thinking about Reputations for your members.

For me just at this time, Pat O and I are over 3.000 posts both joined in 2010 as you did, we all have many likes and other things. What would you advise we suggest to you when my friend, I don't think many of us actually know or understand, what is in your mind. Perhaps you could throw out your thoughts and see if we can agree to agree with you, that way maybe more will throw in a few things. You have some here that are already to my mind and in the criteria worthy of more Recognition. I gather this what you are driving at on this issue.

You could also create Member Groups based on Content and post counts, contents of posts also being taken into consideration ( One liners are sometimes just funny and don't really add to the Thread) Having said that, some members are very Comical and could be in a Humour group.

Of course I guess you would put me in the Stupid Group but at least I have always tried to be a part of the Backbone here.
    We all want some sort of Recognition and to me, promotion will Bring out the Best in people ( Well I would hope)
    Can I also say, that whilst we are not mods, the senior members do their best to help and Keep things on an Even Keel so you are not too concerned with the banning thing. To me this should be Important.

Regards Jack P.

BTW I think Pat and I and others over the 3.000 should be on the purple or Red banner LOL

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  8. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Being prior military myself, "promotions" and "ranks" meant something different to me when I first heard about them on forums as well. However, they are used frequently on boards. Most I have seen are related to staff positions (admin, super mods, mods) and then they usually have "Contributor", "Member" and then one that is specific to the forum niche (usually to subject matter experts). I have no plans on taking contributions anytime soon, at least until I get back to Dumaguete and can have some shirts/products/gift certificates made to sell as part of a contributor package. I just don't like taking people's money and giving nothing back in return.

The "member titles" (what is under your username) are still based off of post count. I would like to have some promotions based off of other things as well.

This software issues out trophy points based off of certain activity on the forum (giving and receiving likes, log ins, posts, and so on). I can add to the list of trophy points. Here are the current trophy points Screenshot from 2014-10-29 13:08:06.png . These are what comes out of the box with the forum software, I haven't added any trophy points yet. A quick Google search for "Xenforo trophy point ideas" will show plenty of ideas....I just haven't gotten around to that yet. This is a list of criteria for creating new trophy points. Screenshot from 2014-10-29 13:08:57.png Screenshot from 2014-10-29 13:09:02.png Screenshot from 2014-10-29 13:09:07.png You can see that the possibilities for trophies are almost endless.

You should first understand what "User Groups" are. Member are placed in certain user groups to give (or restrict) members permission (access) to certain parts and functions of the forum. I am in the Admin user group which gives me unlimited access to all sections and functions of the forum. There is only one other person in that group due to the damage that one could cause if they didn't know what they were doing, one wrong keystroke in the admin control panel would cause the entire system to come crumbling down. You guys are in the Registered user group. Screenshot from 2014-10-29 13:18:27.png Inter Nos is the only one I have created and it gives access to a hidden forum called Inter Nos (no body except myself has been placed in that yet). I had been using that to filter through the bot posts and to test certain functions. I have been thinking about allowing members in there though.

I think that members can create their own "groups", the original vb software had several groups created by members, though they were all unused though. I'm not sure how XF handles user created groups or if it even does.

I certainly recognize and appreciate the long time members and power posters. However, I don't want a forum that caters to just a select few and it's important to stay away from a "good ol' boy" system. Nothing kills an online community faster than that.

I would like input from the guy with 1 post as well as the person with 3k posts. There are many types of "promotions" that I could give, as mentioned above.....it's just finding the right criteria to base them off of. Which is what I'm here asking for.

Other than spammers, I have only banned 2 members (I think). I didn't ban Vicmic and MalmoMan was banned before I took over, I just reinforced the ban.

Filguy and JR were banned for flaming each other after being warned not to do so. The forum here is rather tame, I am reluctant to issue bans or even give out warning points. I only issue them out when someone has malicious intent.

The red is for banned members. International color for "stop". Purple must mean something different to the world than it does to me, but hey, who am I to judge?

9. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Then sir, as I and many others did for many years, we will abide by Part one and Standing Orders and await any new Queens Regulations ( For Brits) { don't know who makes up any others Orders & Regs} but I guess, they will do the same}

JP:wink:

10. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    I believe, for the most part, forum members enjoy seeing posts related primarily to: 1) How to do something here (i.e. how to get married, get a drivers licence, visa instructions, etc., etc. 2) Experiences here (i.e. restaurants, bars, tours, girls, builders, etc, etc). These can come from new members as well as old members, in addition to our historical posts. Personally, I am retired so promotions are not important to me but it is nice to be recognised by your peers when you contribute. I don't think we have cliques and I'm glad Wrye is watching out for that, although it is common to make friends with like-minded members and also to decide who you want to stay away from. The forum is calm now, as it should be.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2