Dumaguete Info Search

First time in Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ Tourist Information ☋' started by Sonja, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonja

Sonja DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm planning of visiting dumaguete in october. Was wondering if you can make suggestions on the itinerary and recommendations for accommodations and contacts for drivers / vans for hire...

DAY 1 Dumaguete then off to Sumillon --> Dumaguete
    DAY 2 Dumaguete then off to Apo Island --> Dumaguete
    DAY 3 Dumaguete then off to Bais --> Dumaguete
    DAY 4 Explore Dumaguete City and outlaying towns..

Is the itinerary too tight? Recommendations of places to visit...
    :smile:

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Hello Sonja,
    welcome to the board. This is a VERY tight schedule and I can promise you that youll sleep good on day 5 hehe...

There are many places to stay. It all comes down to your budget. Bethel guesthouse seems to be a good place to stay right on the Boulevard in Dumaguete. so close to everything (pier, restaurants, nightlife, shopping)

Are you Diving? How big is your company?

cheers

Rhoody

3. OP
    OP
    Sonja

Sonja DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nope, snorkeling only... And were just 2 persons. Could you suggest a must do. but were thinking of both sumilon and apo islands as a must.:smile:

4. mjandron

mjandron DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Sonja,
    You have chosen both good places for diving (Apo and Sumilon). Rhoody suggested one good place to stay which is Bethel Guest House but it depends on your budget of course! We have cheaper place to stay too like Harold Mansion where you can enjoy free coffee or tea for the whole day....or OK pension and even more. You mentioned about vans for hire, Just contact MEDTADCO and look for Robert. He will surely guide you on the place you wanna go. This is his cell no.09196217006 or you can also try this 09202649920.

Welcome to Dumaguete City!!!

mjandron

5. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    I think Sumilon is not a "Must" if it comes to snorkeling, I would skip that.
    Apo an absolute Must. best way to go there is a public ride to Malatapay and from there a small bangka to Apo.
    what you wanna do is quite also close connected to the budget you have...

6. Cyndi

Cyndi DI Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I agree with Rhoody. I did the same route Rhoody mentioned every time over the years with over a group of 10 kids and it was easy on the budget. Snorkling at Apo is a MUST!

7. Bandit

Bandit Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Take the bus to most of these places. Much cheaper than a van for hire.

Buses go north or south from the Ceres terminal in Dgte, just decide which way you are going from Dgte, and tell the bus driver or conductor (who takes your money) where you want to go.

8. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Welcome " on board " Sonja !!
    Well , you do wish to do al lot of things in such a short time only.
    Going places , take the CERES BUS each Kilometer you travel they will charge you 1 peso.. So easy to figure out..
    Cheaper then the Bethel and with FREE breakfast is the pretty new PALWA Hotel. Down town , which is 5 minutes walk from the boulevard. In Dumagute everything is äround the corner "so to speak of. NO TAXI NEEDED !!
    Also a nice budget palce is the CHECK IN PENSION..which is ,yep 4 minutes from the boulevard facing Mc Donald..

Bais is more remote then you will like , simply as the road to there will take some time. Between Amlan ( wher I live) and tTanjay the sights are beautifill , all fish hatcheries but you will travel slowly due to all the tricylcles on the road. Hardly any car you will find there. During that specific ride , you will likely see many KINGFISHERS making a dive into the ponds to get to there favorite meal.. fish..

Like Rhoody said , and he is the absulute authority in Negros , Apo is a MUST !! I guess he is a to down to earth person to brag about it , but he can show you places , nobody will even know of..
    I am sure you will like it here , many people just come for a few days ,like my family did , and never left again.........

9. Devs

Devs DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sonja,

Since it is late October, you might have been there. I hope you can post your actual IT here. How was your trip?

You see I am also going there this Nov 30. And I hope to hear from you your travel story.

As I can see, your schedule is not feasible. Maybe you can do and enjoy the 2-3 destinations but not 4. Sumilon and Bais is on the same side of the town while Apo is on the other side. I guess for me Sumilon would take 1.5-2 days and Bais 1.5 days - so that's 3-4 days already. Travelling is done usually during the daytime - so that eats up your precious days in touring.

10. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    HI Devs,
    What do you wanna do 2 days on Sumilon? I this a tiny I sland reached in one hour by Banka with a totally overpriced Japanese resort. It is nice for a Daytrip and 3 dives, but for that you can leave at 8 and are back by 4 pm.
    When you come late november, the Dolphin season might be over. Also Bais (oncluding sandbar) is a daytrip from Dumaguete. 1 hour drive, and starting here in Duma at 5 in the morning.

How long are you gonna stay here?

cheers

Rhoody

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.