Dumaguete Info Search

Fish Farming ?

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by Teacher, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teacher

Teacher DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I have some land that I could put a couple of ponds. I'm thinking about Tilapia so here is the question is there any profit in Fish farming..????

2. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Don't know if there is any money in it...but you'd think there would be....Had Tilapia in a pond when I lived in Hawaii...started with a few and ended with a few hundred in two years....in a pond about 2 X 4 metres....I introduced them to provide food for the turtles I was keeping in there that I imported from the mainland....assuming the turtles would have ate some...I wonder what the population would have been without the turtles...

3. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    The really hard part is, after you get them all harnessed up, teaching them to plow in straight rows!

4. AntiX

AntiX DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Do you plant them head up or head down?

5. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    That depends on weather or not your head is up your down side.

Sorry I just couldn't resist.

6. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    Profit in fish.

Yes there is profit in fish farms, however the farms I have been to run by some of my in-laws are in pins in the open water. Dont know how well the pond types work. I guess your growth potential is limited compared to the open water pins. And the profit I am talking about is supporting Filippino families, not western lifestyles.

7. Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    The government used to run training programs for fish and prawn farming. The cost of the training was inexpensive and foreigners were welcome. This was back in the Marcos era and things may have changed but I would check if I was at all interested.
    Kenny

8. OP
    OP
    Teacher

Teacher DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Thanks Pedro & Kenny

I have not lived a western life style for years. I really don't miss it I'm very happy with my simple life these days. I have plans for three business that will operate at one time. I really don't think any one business will make enough money to live.It has taken me a while to figure out what I wanted to do. But here is my plan.

1. Tilapa ponds
    2. Bakery
    3. Motorcycle parts & accessories shop

I spoke to a few friends that happened to be Filipino business owners they all said the same thing. You need to run more than one business to make a living in the Philippines.

9. bikerdave

bikerdave DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    This is the thing that really intrigues me.Why do foreigners want to do the same business that locals do? Foreigners should try to do businesses here that cannot be done by locals. I cant tell you how many Idiots (sorry if I hit a nerve here) that decide to make a sari-sari store for their wife or family that goes bust, simply because they end up consuming all the stock= Bad business.Or bakeries etc. Try something different ie a restaraunt that you have knowledge in that cuisine or something in technology not things that have been done already and can see 3 of them on every block of street corner.Let Filipno's do Filipino businesses and have foreigners do thing that they cannot............believe me there are plenty of them JUST THINK:cool:

10. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    BD you seem to have a bit of experience there with business ventures. Do you (or anyone else on this forum) know any westerners there that have been sucessful with established franchises such as Jollie Bee or Chevron, etc. I believe a corporation would have to be formed for the foreigner to take part in it which means teaming with 5-7 national professionals. I have a few professionals I can turn to that I trust enough to start something but I will have to develop two or three additionals if i am serious about this. I know some of those Korean and Chinese establishments have formed corporations but their families have been there for years which may be the whole point of their being able to exist and survive in the PI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.