Dumaguete Info Search

Fish, Fish, Everywhere Fish....

Discussion in '☋ Photo Board ☋' started by The Marine, Feb 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Marine

The Marine DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Seems like no matter what you are doing around here the fish are everywhere when you are snorkeling and diving. I haven't tried feeding the fish while I snorkel, but think that it might happen soon as I am curious to see how the fish react and what sort of photos I can get....

So, now I will post todays batch of photos from snorkeling...

PS.... A lesson i never seem to learn despite the fact that it happens often.... sunburn hurts and th ewater only makes it happen faster... use sunscreen... preferable the waterproof type

Attached Files:

2. OP
    OP
    The Marine

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Fish Galore in the Sanctuary Today

Great variety of fish today in the sanctuary. I think it was hands down one of the best days yet, but it was a little nerve wracking as the fisherman had some major nets everywhere not to mention th elines they ran as well.. kind of intimidating when you are in the water.

Attached Files:

3. OP
    OP
    The Marine

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Schools of Fish and few shy subjects...

A lot of schooling fish out there today that didn't seem phased as I got close... makes it all the more exciting

Attached Files:

4. OP
    OP
    The Marine

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just can't get enough of taking pictures...

I gotta learn to control myself... I shoot a few hundred shots everytime I go out, luckily you only have to deal with some of the better ones that I select.

Attached Files:

5. OP
    OP
    The Marine

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lots of Fish To See Even In The Rocky Areas

Pretty good selection today even close to the shoreline, although the waves and current make everyting a challenge when you are out there....

Attached Files:

6. OP
    OP
    The Marine

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lots Of Interesting Fish Among The Rocks And Vegetation

Couple of more shots of some of today's fish... might even create some wallpapers wiht a decent resolution if any of you are interested... let me know if there is any interest...

Attached Files:

7. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    flat tail trigger ( Abalistes stellatus) and a saddle puffer ( Canthigaster valentini) . Soem wrasse belong to the famaly of HALICHOERIS thow i cannot identity species , as pics not clear enough...

8. yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I thought being a sanctuary thewn they weren't allowed to fish there?
    so why all the nets
    makes your blood boil.

9. OP
    OP
    The Marine

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sanctuary

Yabs,

The nets I refer to are near, but I don't think in the sanctuary. This area has several sanctuaries, but not the whole coast like Apo Island. The result is a rather challenging area to differentiate when not clearly marked. The Maayong Tubig sanctuary is a challenge at the moment as the northernmost buoy/marker line is missing and the fisherman seem to try to get as close to where it is/was in their efforts. The good thing is most try once and move to another area as there are far to many coral heads they get tangled in.... the downside is the amount of damage their nets and lines do to the area in such a short time which will take years to recover.

Not sure if there are any actual enforcers for our sanctuary as I have passed it many times and have never seen a soul there. From what I gather there is sort of an honor system here where you go to the city hall or barangay and pay the fees if you are going to be in the sanctuary to dive or snorkel. I personally do not think it is worth it for snorkeling at Maayong Tubig as the waters just north of the santuary are awesome for snorkeling and coral formations. Not sure as far as diving goes, but hope to give you a report on that in the next week or so...

10. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    To what I see. The majority of stone corals belong to the family of ACROPORA and are quick growing. In the USA and Europe they breed them in tanks in various solid colors like purple and pink and the grow with a rate of 5 cm or even 10cm per year. Other corals seen are Tubinaria kind and several Xenia but that is not coral but polyps that just "look alike ". Soft corals like SARCOPHYTION ( sponge soft like with extending polyps) are very common in swallow water and grow with an higher speed even. I am shocked by the "variety "of fish since it is all damsels ! Nice but "scrath from the barrel "

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.