Dumaguete Info Search

Fish spots..fish tackle..fish rod and reel ..fishing enthusiast

Discussion in 'Hobbies and special interests' started by baltoed, Aug 13, 2014.

1. baltoed

baltoed DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +18 / 6
    I didnt want to step all over the other fishing thread ..

How many guys here are really interested in fishing around here.. for food ..not sport. And how is the fishing for other than bait and snakehead? I mean if there were young tuna and dolphin and other Id make the investment in rebuying all the stuff I would use. Its not cheap..no hobby ever is.. But if there is no piers to fish off of..no places to really shore fish and all the other negative things I could throw in easy enough about what might or might not be. What is it? Im guessing there are guys that would.. is there rentals for rod and tackle etc? I started looking at rods to get for use here

Shimano 8 Foot Telescopic Fishing Rod with Shimano Hyperloop 6000 Reel - Fishing Tackle Shop

Price is affordable but I find it odd that for a telescopic rod they dont tell you what size it packs down to? The 8ft would handle 8kilo line.that more than capable Im sure. But if Im asking someone to pack one along with them coming into the country I really do need to know what Im asking of him or her. The only fishing I have seen sorry to say was kids fishing in a pond I guess I dont want to make the investment for the same reason I gave all my stuff away before.. I wont use it

2. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I am of the same mindset; I would love to be able to USE if I buy;
    Crab Pot/ Crab Net
    Shrimp/ Prawn Trap
    A good Sidecast Reel with Drag and around 6 to 8 ' Fibreglass Rod
    Landing Net etc...

Point being; it would only be purchased if there was somewhere between Dumaguete and Zamboanguita that allows accessible Fishing from a Pier/ Jetty/ Wharf or a Bank with depth and the right conditions to drop a Baited Pot over the edge and wait for the Crustacean free loaders whilst I wet a line.

Oh; and whatever I hook IS coming in to go on the Dinner Plate, or its false teeth if it escapes!! I am most definitely NOT a Catch & Release kind of guy! :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  3. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    There is cheap fishing gear available downtown. A telescoping rod will run you about P200 and up at Unitop or Lee Plaza, a china made real can be had for P500 and up (how high do you want to go?). Lures, hooks, etc. at both places. There is also a sporting goods store across from Raddi motor parts on Real street that has some cheap stuff, as well as Shimano stuff.

Crab pots I made myself.

As for places to fish, there is little in the immediate area, for the most part the likelihood of catching anything will improve the farther you get from Dumaguete to the south or North, but still very limited shore fishing opportunities.

Larry

4. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    G'Day Larry, I think it may have been you who previously explained that the Crabs there are the Blue Swimmers, not the larger Mud Crabs like we have here in Oz around the Mangroves. How did you go Crabbing and which do you find better; the flat net type or the box type of Crab Trap?

Personally I cannot eat Crabs, I am not allergic to them, it is just when I eat them, within a few minutes they come up quicker than they went down, but; (and there is no nice way of saying this) I LOVE catching Crabs!! And I am sure asawa bould be delighted if I do! :D

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    I built two pots similar to what we used on the Oregon coast. Two rings surrounded by a net. When sitting on the bottom (or for storage/transport) it lays flat, when you are pulling it up the upper ring is a foot above the lower so the crabs cannot get out. I haven't had them in the water yet.

[​IMG]

6. OP
    OP
    baltoed

baltoed DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +18 / 6

You had me wondering about the crab pot..Thinking you meant setout over night like millions are on US coastal areas..lol. Thinking how long before some local sees the float and pulls up his free dinner thanks to you!..hehe But yes I went and fished off a closed road that had a bridge on it right on the Chesapeake Bay and used to drop 2 pots in the water near the piers.. I could get free fish heads and guts from the fish mongers in the open air seafood markets ..nasty but crab tastie-treats..lol

I have not seen any open water crabs of any size here. Possibly just fished out. I do see large crabs..but they are mudders

View attachment 11350

Attached Files:

7. OP
    OP
    baltoed

baltoed DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +18 / 6
    I am going to read that to mean ..*If I know a spot I want to keep it to myself*..lol I can really understand that if its a pond..But I dont see anyone advertising farm ponds to fish. While I applaude the efforts to try to make money by promoting fish viewing. Its also good to make fees for fishing licenses..no dynamite please.. I used to hear that at night on Capiz.. them blowing up reefs to make fish kills..

Id buy a cheap rig to give it a go..if there was somewhere to go.. I hear what I percieve as cicada here..is there a seven year cycle? you know.millions of them ever so often? I used them live with just a piece of shot to make them sink in farm ponds and would get some big ole bucket mouth bass ..if it was to be had..lol

Blue Swimmers are cousin to the crab from my area..they are really quite good eating when they have some SIZE to them.. we have limits and dont allow immature females to be kept at all..and we have water cops that insure that..aka Coast Guard etc.. Crabbing is big business for the Maryland eastern shore communites. You like a good BLT on toast? Replace that bacon with a softcrab and go to HEAVEN !!

8. OP
    OP
    baltoed

baltoed DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +18 / 6
    Larry.. that comment by me was not in any way ment to be taking like a slap or anything.. (I am going to read that to mean ..*If I know a spot I want to keep it to myself*..lol)

A pier is not something anyone here would untake lightly I feel..and stucture is what fish look for to congragate..that sometimes just means a hole or a drop off and they sit on the edge looking for food.. so goes the food chain. So the places they hang are the most dangerous to foul a hook up..yanno.. tree roots and fallen branches..old coral..etc. Brian looks for terra firma to fish from..he might want to consider walking out and seeing if there might be a drop off or something. You could go fishing nice and cool if you have a al. chair that you can carry out.. you caste out..and sit in water to your waist.jes chillin...lol

9. OP
    OP
    baltoed

baltoed DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +18 / 6
    I went looking to see what I could find out about water structure and not much I'm afraid. The best two places around the island seem to be north of Bais..and south of Sipalay. Siaton showing nothing note worthy. This of course would not account for any man made structure ( as highly undoubtful as that is )

View attachment 11353

View attachment 11354

View attachment 11355

maps - US Corp of Engineers 1944

Attached Files:

10. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Well, if I knew of a good place I definately would keep it to myself and a few friends rather than posting it to thousands of wannabe fish slayers on the net, but the truth of the matter is I know of no such place. I plan to be looking a little harder in the near future.

On another note most of the island is surrounded by reef, and there are millions of places one could take a chair and wade out near the reef.

Larry