Dumaguete Info Search

Fishing gear

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Ninja, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Ninja

Ninja DI Member

Computer Engineer
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    OK, I didnt gave time to bring my fishing gear from Australia. Went to look at Opsimus?, Lee Plaza basement and sporting goods section and all of Robinsons with no luck. Bought braid line from Opsimus, but they do not have hand reels except a giganric wood version for deep sea fishing. Rods were ok, but they price vs quality are nit to my expectations.....its all viking branded chinese stuff which I have never heard of. Baitcaster reels are also not to my liking. Was looking for major branded and reliable equipment. Lee Plaza, well the quality was even worse......I wouldn't even go there..

So, is there any suggestions?

Thanks again.

2. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Just do it the Filipino style, by hand, I use rods only from shore...
    Good luck...

3. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Try getting hold of mike alano on this site. His cell number is listed in the thread Dumaguete angler, he usually has some good gear!

4. alex

alex DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

EXPERT BOLA BOLA
    Ratings:
    +1,296 / 1,129
    Try opsimas they may have better stock . I like to use a hand line when their is a few fishing from the same boat.
    good luck

5. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    What is the Shore Fishing like there?

I was hoping to buy some Crab Pots and some Rods and occasionally wander down to the Beach between Bacong and Zamboanguita and try my luck catching dinner for the Family. Personally I cannot eat anything with a Shell on it as I throw it up quicker than it goes down but I love catching a big Muddy or two and want to catch fresh foods both for killing time and having something to do and pleasing the family at the same time.

I can NOT go in a Boat, I suffer what would have to be the worst motion sickness EVER! Could never even play on the swings as a kids so NO WAY am I going out in a Boat! Especially seeing as a common House Brick can swim better than I can...

So if everything isn't already fished out, is fishing from the Shore worth my while?

6. baltoed

baltoed DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +18 / 6
    Fishing..I too left all of that behind..to much to mention. You want to fish ocean..or sea as it is> not river or stream? I used to use 10-12 ft surf rods to get the line out there..anywhere from a 1/2 oz to 3 oz of lead to hold the line. To that you might be able to fashion some wire into some eyes that the line runs thru..secure them to a bamboo pole ..now a rod..lol the old ones were bamboo back in the day. Casting a weight out and trapping the line like you did before with a spinning reel you could learn to get a cast off.. but like they say..bail it on a hand winder..if you by chance caught anything large you could use the spring in the rod to help out.

as for mud crabs..I think they are all in ponds..there is a cousin to the Blue point crab in these waters.. called Blue Swimmers.. they live mostly in sea grass and rushes if you can find that kinda place..you would need a skift to get in there.. and lay pots..I know how they are made but Im not messing with wire cutters for those little guys..lol. good luck with both.. let us know how fishing pans out for ya.. oh its so shallow.. you might want to wade out to almost your wast to cast.. if ya got a helper let them bring a plastic chair out for ya to sit in..and a good wide brim hat !

Ed

7. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    My luck I would find the only hole out there and step in it! Nearly drowned so many times in my youth eventually I saw the smart side and promised the big Fella upstairs I would stop going into water past my ankles if he would stop trying to drown me! :D LOL

I use to spend so much time as a kid catching small Fish for my aquarium at home making small Shrimp traps etc I cannot eat Prawns/ Shrimp/ Crabs/ Crayfish etc but I sure love catching them! :smile: (Something tells me if I had taken the bakla Prostitute up on her offer whilst in Dumaguete I would have caught a load of Crabs on my visit there! hehe)

My Dad used the old Bamboo Rods up in the Mangroves fishing from the Bank, he was always on the hunt for Mangrove Jack. I use to tie a frozen Pork Chop to my line and throw it out and wait for it to 'walk' then sloooowly reel it in, as soon as it hit the ridge below the low tide mark and I lifted the Crab he would let go and drop into the Fish net that I slid in front of him also very slowly. On most afternoons I could catch a dozen plus big Muddy's this way, my Mum & Dad and sisters and bother would pig out on Crabs while I watched them eating because I throw them up quicker than I can swallow them! :(

For some reason I assumed everything would be fished out within cooee of the shore line, the River beside us is a dry river with very little water in it at the best of times, so is no good to drop a pot in, altho I have been eyeing the small canals along the roadside, I remember catching large quantities of Green Prawns in similar canals between the Cane fields here in Queensland. My younger Brother now catches these specifically as he claims they taste better than the larger Banana Prawns you get in North QLD so I wouldn't mind trying my luck with that :smile:

I would just like to 'catch something' myself, it always tastes better if you caught it with your own hands :D

8. baltoed

baltoed DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +18 / 6
    fished out is a good assumption mostly.. seasonal fish come thru but the pinoy have blasted so many reefs to death with dynamite the local specie is all but dead... I used to go to sleep in Roxas city listening to fisherman blowing everything all to hell.

9. Mike Alano

Mike Alano DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +33 / 0

Let me know what specific brand of tackle you need and I will hook you up with a tackle shop in Manila or I can order them for you. It will be available in 3-4 days