Dumaguete Info Search

Fishing

Discussion in '☋ Tourist Information ☋' started by anotherdane, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anotherdane

anotherdane DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can anyone tell me where I can do some fishing around Dumaguete ?
    From the coast shore ?
    A boat ?
    Has any experience then am open ears..
    Is it legal to fish anywhere in salty water ?
    What kidn of fish can I catch ?
    waht to eat and waht not ?
    Fish on Apol island ?
    Hope for some help or advises .
    plan to try some big game fishing to
    regards
    anotherdane

2. laviaomaha

laviaomaha DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i want to know too

3. Union Jack

Union Jack DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 1
    Yeah, me too.....but first I have to learn the basic skills.
    I remember challenging my little nephews, myself with a rod and them with a lenght of bamboo, only to loose the bet and having to buy a round of coke to all. Looking forward to join someone with a bit of experience, even it that means me having to buy coca cola to all.....or San Miguel !!!:D
    By the way, is there any shop in downtown Dumaguete where one can buy proper fishing gear?

4. OP
    OP
    anotherdane

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    okay

Hello
    thats how we all started mate..
    but I have been fishing a lot here in Denmark and also in Thailand a bit tunas
    Ih ave sme expereince and we can try next I coem to Dumaguete ?
    are you ready ?
    do u live there ?
    am here in Demark now but wil be back later
    regards
    B

5. Union Jack

Union Jack DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 1
    Hello anotherdane, I'll be visiting Dumaguete probably mid-january next year.
    It would be nice to meet! No deep sea fishing for me, first I have to learn how to set up the rig and then cast properly........I'm so bad that in a moment of rage I almost dumped the cheap gear I have. Only my wife stopped me from doing it. Mind you, if on a boat, you do not need to cast, so I might be tempted. Mind you, I had caught a beautiful 10 cm. speciment some time ago, looking forward to my next catch, may be a marling???:D
    Anyone has any idea on where to buy proper fishing gear in Dumaguete?
    I have lost so much stuff in the water when casting that I need to replace my stock of Hooks and weights......eh eh eh.:eek:

6. balustre

balustre DI Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Fishing gear

I buy my fishing gear (nylon lines, hooks, swivels, etc.) from Zenith Enterprises near the public market (just ask any tricycle driver for its location). For weights, I use steel bars cut short vs. lead which is toxic. Use a small pumpboat and fish very early in the morning near Liloan, Tanon Strait during neap tides and during changing of tides when the sea current is weakest otherwise the current in the area is violently strong. Here is an example of a catch using shrimp bait:

Attached Files:

7. OP
    OP
    anotherdane

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello
    Thanks to both of you - and then nice picture !
    In eed to learn what kind of fish is it and can it be eaten ?
    Thanks for the info where to buy fishing gear.. we will remember that Union Jack wright ?
    Dont worry I can make soem good knots, to avoid loosing the gear in the sea.. Ih ave been fishing since I was 5 yo. - now am 51 and stil enjoy the river,a lake or the ocean --
    Sure we can try from the shoreline.. evening or morning,, with diffrent bait and maybe a lure
    To Balustre: What kind ofl ine to use ? do wee ned monofile with steelwire ? where to catch tunas and barracudas ?? - do you live in Dumaguete ?
    much kindness here from Denmark
    wil try to be there next year or before
    my lady are from Negros
    Bs

8. balustre

balustre DI Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    The fish shown is a Caesionid, a good edible fish with a rather soft flesh. I have eaten it raw (binakhaw), fried, sweet an soured, cooked in a soup, or grilled.
    Just used a monofilament without steelwire.
    I work overseas and sometimes fish in Duma when I visit in December and in July. I usually go with a local fisherman who knows better where to fish.
    A cousin uses a mono with steelwire trolling off the coast for barracuda, spanish mackerel, and bonito.

9. gotz

gotz DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Imported fishing gears can be bought at opsima's sports shoppe. Real st. In front of Ultra Theater.
    Hope I we could Join Ballustre sometime. How big is the Pumpboat? And how much is the rent?

10. balustre

balustre DI Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    The local fisherman's pumpboat could carry three to four people and cost me ten liters of gasoline, snacks, bait, and goodwill. With the rise of gasoline price, he doesn't use his boat often and has gone into tricycle driving.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.